The Rabbi And The Monk

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby Pannapetar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 am

A nice little story I read some time ago:

A rabbi once met a Buddhist monk. The monk invited the rabbi into his temple, but the rabbi refused saying, "I am not allowed to enter a house of idol worship". The monk asked why. The rabbi answered, "Because worshipping an object is an affront to G-d".

The monk took a small Buddha statue out of his pocket, looked at the rabbi with a calm smile and threw the statue onto the ground, smashing it to pieces.

The monk asked the startled rabbi, "Now tell me, would you do that with your Torah scrolls? If not, who is it that makes idols?"

(Told by Aaron Moss)
User avatar
Pannapetar
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 am
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:15 am

Thanks Thomas
Great story!

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16046
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:05 am

it reminds me of a zen story of burning buddha statues.

LOL

can I pinch this story for a blog
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5737
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:02 am

That is a good story.

I like this story of the Christian missionary who approaches a Chinese monk who is sitting quietly in a temple and asks of the monk, "What are you doing?" The monk says, "You would say I am praying." The missionary then asks, "What are you praying for?" The monk says, "Nothing." Puzzled, the missionary asks, "Well, then, to whom are you praying?" The monk answers, "To no one." Perplexed, not understanding this at all, the missionary turns to leave and as he is walking away, the monk calls to the missionary and says, "And don't forget, there is no one praying."

I heard this years and years ago. Have no idea of the source.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19294
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby Macavity » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 am

tiltbillings wrote:I heard this years and years ago. Have no idea of the source.


Perhaps Dorothy Figen, though I don't know where she got it from.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/figen/bl085.html
User avatar
Macavity
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:36 am
Location: Thailand

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby Jechbi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Then there's the one about the rabbi, the priest and the chicken who walk into a bar ...





never mind
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
User avatar
Jechbi
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 am

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby dilexi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:23 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
I like this story of the Christian missionary who approaches a Chinese monk who is sitting quietly in a temple and asks of the monk, "What are you doing?" The monk says, "You would say I am praying." The missionary then asks, "What are you praying for?" The monk says, "Nothing." Puzzled, the missionary asks, "Well, then, to whom are you praying?" The monk answers, "To no one." Perplexed, not understanding this at all, the missionary turns to leave and as he is walking away, the monk calls to the missionary and says, "And don't forget, there is no one praying."

I heard this years and years ago. Have no idea of the source.


Was putting off meditating just now. This story made me smile, and laugh, and then want to meditate. Thank you. :smile:
:buddha1:
-dilexi
dilexi
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:55 am

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby acinteyyo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:05 pm

I like tilt's and pannapetar's story. made me smile :smile:

:thanks:
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
User avatar
acinteyyo
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Neuburg/Donau, Germany

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby gene » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 am

Yes indeed. Both made me smile. :)
Although the teller of pannapetar's story took some artistic license. I don't think Theravadin robes are capable of concealing buddha statues!
User avatar
gene
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby Tex » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:32 pm

gene wrote:Although the teller of pannapetar's story took some artistic license. I don't think Theravadin robes are capable of concealing buddha statues!


I remember reading on "the other site" a year or two ago the very same story, only the rupa the monk smashed was at the entrance to the monastery (I had pictured the monk picking up some three-foot tall stone Buddha with both hands over his head and smashing it to make a tremendous scene and then very quietly making his point to the aghast rabbi!).
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
User avatar
Tex
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: The Rabbi And The Monk

Postby gene » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Tex wrote:
gene wrote:Although the teller of pannapetar's story took some artistic license. I don't think Theravadin robes are capable of concealing buddha statues!


I remember reading on "the other site" a year or two ago the very same story, only the rupa the monk smashed was at the entrance to the monastery (I had pictured the monk picking up some three-foot tall stone Buddha with both hands over his head and smashing it to make a tremendous scene and then very quietly making his point to the aghast rabbi!).


lol Texans do like to think big. ;)

Nice anecdote as this story is I hope its circulation won't enourage hot-blooded young buddhists to take up statue-smashing to make a point about Buddhism's stance on idoltry. If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that destroying images of the Buddha incurs bad karma. The Afghan Taliban was overthrown not long after its destruction of the Bamiyan statues. :(
User avatar
gene
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:03 pm


Return to Dhammic Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests