something I read recently

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
katehopeeden

something I read recently

Post by katehopeeden »

I am reading, among other things, Living Dharma Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Masters by Jack Kornfield. Unfortunately, I have been skipping around so I don't have the exact wording of it, but I read the best snippet. It has stuck with me and I really love the analogy. The author mentions that he is writing about several different Buddhist Masters who practice in different ways. He eludes often to the fact that there isn't a "right" way to enlightenment, that different people will take different paths. I love this because it is my belief that if you are on any path towards enlightenment that you are better off than you were before. Anyway, he says that there is a picture of a teacher pointing at the moon and to think about all of your teachers pointing at the moon. It does not matter what method they use to point at the moon, it is important to remember that you are looking at the moon itself.

Upon some quick googling, I found that this analogy/story pops up rather often... I'm sure most of you have already heard it... :-) I really loved it and it has stuck with me. My mother and I were having a chat about Buddhism the other day and she was asking about the different types and I told her the analogy about the moon.

If I haven't said it before, I am super grateful to have this forum and all of you to talk to :-)
~KHE
Attachments
finger-moon-hotei.jpg
finger-moon-hotei.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Wizard in the Forest

Re: something I read recently

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

That's so sweet. I like that Analogy too. There's also the raft simile.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Annapurna

Re: something I read recently

Post by Annapurna »

:hello: