Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
I am looking for some good Pali verses to give, in a calligraphy, as a gift to two teachers to whom I owe very much. I like the Dhammapada chapter on "The Wise" but would like to find something else.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 11:47 pm
http://www.yellowrobe.com/component/con ... chers.html
‘Whenever the pupil of a teacher attains to such excellent distinction, that is a teacher who is not to be blamed in the world.
And if anyone blames that teacher, his blame is improper, untrue, not in accordance with reality, and faulty.’
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: PañhamavaggaWBB TBHT HBM AC My Page
- Posts: 968
- Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 am
The duties of the pupil to his (her) teacher
1. To get up in sign of respect and go to receive him (her) when he (she) arrives. 2. To render him (her) a service if necessary. 3. To be eager to listen to his (her) advice. 4. If living with him (her), to help him (her) with the daily chores. 5. To try hard to learn what one does not yet know and not to forget what one has already learnt.
The duties of the teacher to his (her) pupil
1. To instruct him (her) well in matters concerning social life, customs and manners, as well as in the spiritual field. 2. To make sure that he (she) retains well what one teaches by making him repeat several times in the day. 3. To teach everything one knows without concealing anything. 4. To introduce him (her) to one's friends and associates so that he (she) can obtain a job. 5. To guarantee his (her) material and spiritual safety (recitation of protective texts).
I am sure the verses where it has originated are a good choice.
Just that! *smile*...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html
BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
- Posts: 1906
- Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm
- Location: Cambodia
Return to Dhammic Stories
Who is online
Registered users: Bing [Bot], Crazy cloud, Dan74, Dmytro, Google [Bot], K.Dhamma, Kamran, Kim O'Hara, parth, rahul3bds, retrofuturist