Emptiness of time and others

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
squarepeg

Re: Emptiness of time and others

Post by squarepeg »

Greetings,
This kind of thinking will never ever appear even for a single instant when we directly perceive the emptiness of time.

Your expirence is all inclusive.

To percieve (with the constituent parts that perception requires to take place) is to experience time. There is no entity "emptyness" not even in a figuritive way. Because language (being a conditioned thing) is not able to discribe that witch would, other wise, be un-conditioned. In the same way "no-time" can not be related towards with language, but again this does not mean that "emptyness" and "no-time" are ineffable entitys. As saying something is ineffable implys that it still exists. And as we know no-thing exists that is not conditioned by other things.

Too say that there is not time in an objective sense is too relate to the qualitys of existance in witch expirence is non sequential. Like a deep meditative state (I imagine). You can't say that you heard a sound with your eyes, or that you tasted a smell with your skin can you? In the same way you cant relate to a non-sequential entity by means of expirence that requires sequentialization, or has sequential expirence built in.

In the same way, if you were to be in some mode of experience that time was not a part of, that sort of experience would not be effable in the realms of experience where time is a constant. ex. Why Make Sentence Does This Not Sense.

My problem with this is I think your statements imply that there is something behind what we experience. Like, dare i say, a soul.

with metta,

SP
"Yadisam vapate bijam tadisam harate phalam" — as we sow, so shall we reap
Maranam Bhavissati - "death will take place"
Y1010

Post by Y1010 »

When all the concepts were gone, there was only darkness for me.
I needed to find new values in life. It is a personal matter.
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

Y1010 wrote:When all the concepts were gone, there was only darkness for me.
I needed to find new values in life. It is a personal matter.
If we think about the state without concept, we will think there is only darkness for us.

But, if we ever experience the state without concept, we will experience perfect clearance.

The sky will never dark when the clouds have disappeared. Even in the clear darkness, the brightness of stars cannot hide.

In realizing the perfect clearance, the concepts cannot touch "you", even you play with concepts again and again.

However, without realizing this perfect clearance, the "mind" will confuse "itself", and the concepts will simply burn you.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Y1010

Post by Y1010 »

[quote="DarwidHalim"]
If we think about the state without concept, we will think there is only darkness for us.
quote]

This is an affront to me. I'm sorry.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Y1010 wrote:This is an affront to me.
:shrug:

:?:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

santa100 wrote:All streams flow into one sea.
To be overly literal here, the Lake Tahoe basin flows out the Truckee River into the middle of Nevada to Lake Pyramid and dries up in the desert. This is true for a good chunk of the western United States, such as the Great Salt Lake. Now, I suppose those evaporated water vapors eventually find their way to other streams which do lead to the great oceans, but I really can't say that the Truckee River flows to the great sea.

Now, I bring this up because how do we really know all traditions really lead to the same salvation? It sounds wonderful and reassuring, but dhamma is not about wonderfully reassurance. It is about the naked, ugly truth.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Concepts are not right or wrong. They are tools used by humans for convenience and survival, no more / no less. What is wrong is to substitute a deep understanding of reality with cheap and easy concepts. Oh, and I guess concepts can be wrong if they are lies or false hypotheses.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Buckwheat wrote:
"Now, I bring this up because how do we really know all traditions really lead to the same salvation? It sounds wonderful and reassuring, but dhamma is not about wonderfully reassurance. It is about the naked, ugly truth."

Don't forget the context of my message, which meant that all major Buddhist traditions do lead to the same salvation. How do we really know? Well, although each might has its own methods and techniques for training, they all share the same core concepts: 4 NT, 8 NP, 12 DO, 3 characteristics, etc.. whether one trains in Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Zen, PureLand,..these teachings always remain the same..So, the naked ugly truth and the wonderful reassurance don't have to be mutually exclusive. They might work together pretty well..
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

santa100,

Sorry, I thought that was the global "all traditions". I agree that all Buddhist traditions lead to the same goal.