Ksitigarbha mantra

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

gambitx92
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Ksitigarbha mantra

Postby gambitx92 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:26 am

I heard that a bad karma erasing mantra associated with Ksitigarbha (kind of like how om mani padme hom is associated with Avalokiteśvara) is "om ha ha ha vishmaya svaha". Does anyone know anything about this? If so, would you happen to know the translation for this mantra in Pali?

Thank you in advance!

plwk
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Ksitigarbha mantra

Postby plwk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 am

Greetings gambitx92,

You can try that question at the sister site here where it is dedicated to anything and everything that is Mahayana/Vajrayana.
This forum is dedicated for the Theravada practice and teaching and as such translating mantras into the Pali language may not serve that purpose.

:namaste:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:05 am

I don't know of any Pali chant or formula for this bodhisattva. He appears to be of significance mostly in Mahayana. But I did find this at his wikipedia page:

In Theravada Buddhism, the story of a Buddhist monk called Phra Malai, who has the similar qualities of Ksitigarbha, is well known throughout Southeast Asia, especially in Thailand and Laos. Legend has it that he was an arhat from Sri Lanka, who achieved great supernormal powers through his own merits and meditation. He is also honored as a successor to Maudgalyayana, the Buddha's disciple foremost for his supernormal attainments. In the story this pious and compassionate monk descends to Hell to give teachings & comfort the suffering hell-beings there. He also learns how the hell-beings are punished according to their sins in the different hells.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksitigarbha

gambitx92
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby gambitx92 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:05 am

thanks plwk!

Return to “Pali”