Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namo Swami

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Refugee
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namo Swami

Postby Refugee » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:43 pm

I have noticed that Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Munindo recite/chant the following lines before commencing with some of their talks:

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma-sambuddhasa (3 times)
Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namo Swami (once)

I am quite familiar with the first part ("Namo Tassa ..."), but have not come across the last line ("Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namo Swami") before. What does it mean? It seems to me that it is an alternative to the familiar refuge prayer "Buddham Saranam Gacchami,..." but I'm not sure. Any responses will be appreciated.
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.

daverupa
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namo Swami

Postby daverupa » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Maybe they are actually saying "...saranam gacchami" but it is heard as "...namo swami" due to audio quality, mumbled pronunciation, or some other variable? Are there source files with this phrasing which can be produced?
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

cooran
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby cooran » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Hello refugiee,

I think the word is ''namami'' and means 'I bend low' - ''I bow''.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Refugee wrote:I have noticed that Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Munindo recite/chant the following lines before commencing with some of their talks:

I am quite familiar with the first part ("Namo Tassa ..."), but have not come across the last line ("Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namo Swami") before. What does it mean? It seems to me that it is an alternative to the familiar refuge prayer "Buddham Saranam Gacchami,..." but I'm not sure. Any responses will be appreciated.

It's "Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namasami"

Namasami means bow, as in I bow to the Buddha.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah

Khalil Bodhi
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Goofaholix wrote:
Refugee wrote:I have noticed that Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Munindo recite/chant the following lines before commencing with some of their talks:

It's "Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namasami"

Namasami means bow, as in I bow to the Buddha.

I think it's actually transliterated as "namassami"
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com

Refugee

Postby Refugee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Thank you all for your kind responses. I listened carefully to the audio again and "Buddham Dhammam Sangham Namassami" is what it sounds like. I take it that the english translation would be "To the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha I bow (or prostrate)".
:thanks: again for clearing this up for me.
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.

Return to “Pali”