YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

yearning - Dhamma Wheel

yearning

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

danieLion

yearning

Postby danieLion » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 am

Anyone know the Pali word Thannisaro translates as "yearning" in the below DN 21 excerpt?

"Then Sakka, having delighted in & expressed his approval of the Blessed One's words, said to him: 'Yearning is a disease, yearning is a boil, yearning is an arrow. It seduces one, drawing one into this or that state of being, which is why one is reborn in high states & low. Whereas other outside brahmans & contemplatives gave me no chance to ask them these questions, the Blessed One has answered at length, so that he has removed the arrow of my uncertainty & perplexity.'"

It comes near the end of the sutta.
thanks

SamKR

Re: yearning

Postby SamKR » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:25 pm

The following is the original Pali (in Roman) for the above quote:

367. Itiha sakko devānamindo bhagavato bhāsitaṃ abhinanditvā anumoditvā bhagavantaṃ etadavoca –

‘‘Ejā, bhante, rogo, ejā gaṇḍo, ejā sallaṃ, ejā imaṃ purisaṃ parikaḍḍhati tassa tasseva bhavassa abhinibbattiyā. Tasmā ayaṃ puriso uccāvacamāpajjati . Yesāhaṃ, bhante, pañhānaṃ ito bahiddhā aññesu samaṇabrāhmaṇesu okāsakammampi nālatthaṃ, te me bhagavatā byākatā. Dīgharattānusayitañca pana [dīgharattānupassatā, yañca pana (syā.), dīgharattānusayino, yañca pana (sī. pī.)] me vicikicchākathaṃkathāsallaṃ, tañca bhagavatā abbuḷha’’nti.

(from )

So, yearning ~ Ejā

danieLion

Re: yearning

Postby danieLion » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:50 am

thanks

Return to “Pāli”