Dhammapada Gatha names?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Cittasanto

Dhammapada Gatha names?

Post by Cittasanto »

Cant think of where better to put this, but...
Does anyone know where I can find the names to the Dhammapada verses?
for an example the verses 183-5 are know as the Ovāda-pāṭimokkha Gāthā.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Re: Dhammapada Gatha names?

Post by daverupa »

Perhaps it is possible those names reflect an/the earlier organization method via nine categories (possibly 12, iirc), and that not all survive the reshuffling which we have extant.

:shrug:

:popcorn:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Dave,
so do you know?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
BKh

Post by BKh »

Cittasanto: Could you give us some more examples of names of Dhammapada verses? The one you mentioned is the only one I can think of that might have a name. The Dhp commentary story to that set of verses is named "ānandattherapañhavatthu." Those verses also appear in DN14. They also appear in the Vinaya. In the commentary to the Vinaya (pārājikakaṇḍa-aṭṭhakathā, verañjakaṇḍavaṇṇanā, vinayapaññattiyācanakathāvaṇṇanā) they seem to be given the name ovādapātimokkhaṁ. The only other place I can find "ovādapātimokkha" is in the Udana commentary to the Uposathasutta. So it doesn't seem to be connected with the Dhp at all.

My experience with Sri Lankan monks is that the verses are referred to by the first words of the first line, not any sort of names.

If you don't get an answer from this forum, this seems like something Bhante Anandajoti would know the answer to.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Paṭhama-buddha-bhāsita-gāthā V.153-154
Khemākhema-saraṇa-gamana-paridīpikā-gāthā V.188-192
Ti-lakkhaṇ’ādi-gāthā V.277-279

These are the others I know the names for, I know of the first word use, however I didn't know the Ovadapatimokkha had another name, so Thanks.

John Stuart Mill