The way that you insert the special characters

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

The way that you insert the special characters

Postby UhBaUnTaUh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am

Namo Dhammna

Dear All.

What was the way that you always used to insert the special characters into your post ?

And how does it be, if someone send you some code that can make this forum put them in to the post on one click ?

UhBaUnTaUh
Parking this account.

I have been moved to another account.
UhBaUnTaUh

Re: The way that you insert the special characters

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:10 pm

I usually write it out in a word doc and use the character map there and paste it or do a quick search for the word in a online dictionary. although mostly I don't bother as the lack of the marks don't usually hinder understanding which term is being used.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: The way that you insert the special characters

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:14 pm

I use a customised keyboard for Windows that I made using Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator.

Full List of Shortcuts

If you use Opera for browsing the forums you can, instead, define shortcuts of your own to insert them, e.g.

a ctrl = Insert, "ā"
m ctrl = Insert, "ṃ"

etc. I prefer the first method as it works in Notepad and most other Windows Programs.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Return to Pali