Dear members who love Pali,
Iti 76. Sukhapatthanaasutta.m
[Presented by Dr.Han Tun,MD @sariputtadhamma/JTN]
Iti 76. Sukhapatthanaasutta.m
76. Vutta~nheta.m bhagavataa, vuttamarahataati me suta.m
"Tii.nimaani, bhikkhave, sukhaani patthayamaano siila.m rakkheyya pa.n.dito.
Katamaani tii.ni? Pasa.msaa me aagacchatuuti siila.m rakkheyya pa.n.dito, bhogaa
me uppajjantuuti siila.m rakkheyya pa.n.dito, kaayassa bhedaa para.m mara.naa
sugati.m sagga.m loka.m upapajjissaamiiti siila.m rakkheyya pa.n.dito. Imaani
kho, bhikkhave, tii.ni sukhaani patthayamaano siila.m rakkheyya pa.n.dito"ti.
Etamattha.m bhagavaa avoca. Tattheta.m iti vuccati
1. "Siila.m rakkheyya medhaavii, patthayaano tayo sukhe;
Pasa.msa.m vittalaabha~nca, pecca sagge pamodana.m.
2. "Akarontopi ce paapa.m, karontamupasevati;
Sa"nkiyo hoti paapasmi.m, ava.n.no cassa ruuhati.
3. "Yaadisa.m kurute mitta.m, yaadisa.m cuupasevati;
Sa ve taadisako hoti, sahavaaso hi taadiso.
4. "Sevamaano sevamaana.m, samphu.t.tho samphusa.m para.m;
Saro diddho kalaapa.mva, alittamupalimpati;
Upalepabhayaa dhiiro, neva paapasakhaa siyaa.
5. "Puutimaccha.m kusaggena, yo naro upanayhati;
Kusaapi puuti vaayanti, eva.m baaluupasevanaa.
6. "Tagara~nca palaasena, yo naro upanayhati;
Pattaapi surabhi vaayanti, eva.m dhiiruupasevanaa.
7. "Tasmaa pattapu.tasseva, ~natvaa sampaakamattano;
Asante nupaseveyya, sante seveyya pa.n.dito;
Asanto niraya.m nenti, santo paapenti suggati"nti.
Ayampi attho vutto bhagavataa, iti me sutanti.
Iti 76. Sukhapatthanaa sutta
This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard:
"Aspiring to these three forms of bliss, a wise person should guard his virtue.
Which three? [Thinking,] 'May praise come to me,' a wise person should guard his
virtue. [Thinking,] 'May wealth come to me,' a wise person should guard his
virtue. [Thinking,] 'At the break-up of the body, after death, may I reappear in
a good destination, in heaven,' a wise person should guard his virtue. Aspiring
to these three forms of bliss, a wise person should guard his virtue."
1. "Intelligent, you should guard your virtue, aspiring to three forms of bliss:
praise; the obtaining of wealth; and, after death, rejoicing in heaven.
2. "Even if you do no evil but seek out one who does,
you're suspected of evil. Your bad reputation grows.
3. "The sort of person you make a friend, the sort you seek out,
that's the sort you yourself become, for your living together is of that sort.
4. "The one associated with, the one who associates,
the one who's touched, the one who touches another
like an arrow smeared with poison, contaminates the quiver.
So, fearing contamination, the enlightened
should not be comrades with evil people.
5. "A man who wraps rotting fish in a blade of kusa grass
makes the grass smelly: so it is if you seek out fools.
6. "But a man who wraps powdered incense in the leaf of a tree
makes the leaf fragrant: so it is if you seek out the enlightened.
7. "So, knowing your own outcome as like the leaf-wrapper's,
you shouldn't seek out those who aren't good.
The wise would associate with those who are.
Those who aren't good lead you to hell.
The good help you reach a good destination."
Love Buddha's dhamma,