Question about etymology.

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Individual

Question about etymology.

Postby Individual » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:54 am

Is the Pali "atta" related to the Greek "auto" (both meaning self)? That is, is the latter derived from the former?

Is there a lot of cross-linguistic influence between Pali\Sanskrit and Greek\Latin?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

Dhammanando

Re: Question about etymology.

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:32 am

Individual wrote:Is the Pali "atta" related to the Greek "auto" (both meaning self)?

I don't think so. The PTS dictionary relates it to the Greek ατμός (atmos: vapour, steam), Old High German ātum (to breathe), and the Anglo-Saxon aeþm (breath).

That is, is the latter derived from the former?

I don't think any Greek words are derived from Pali. Rather, the two languages are thought to ultimately derive from an hypothesized common root language, so-called Proto-Indo-European.

Is there a lot of cross-linguistic influence between Pali\Sanskrit and Greek\Latin?

There are a great many words in the two languages that derive from common roots, but not as many as in the Slavic languages.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

First hermit: Still there’s one thing about being a hermit, at least you get to meet people.

Second hermit: Oh yes! I wouldn’t go back to public relations.
— Monty Python, The Hermits

(I shall be offline from 27th June until November)

Individual

Postby Individual » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:59 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Individual wrote:Is the Pali "atta" related to the Greek "auto" (both meaning self)?

I don't think so. The PTS dictionary relates it to the Greek ατμός (atmos: vapour, steam), Old High German ātum (to breathe), and the Anglo-Saxon aeþm (breath).

That is, is the latter derived from the former?

I don't think any Greek words are derived from Pali. Rather, the two languages are thought to ultimately derive from an hypothesized common root language, so-called Proto-Indo-European.

There are a great many words in the two languages that derive from common roots, but not as many as in the Slavic languages.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Thanks, Venerable! :bow:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:29 am

Individual wrote:Is the Pali "atta" related to the Greek "auto" (both meaning self)? That is, is the latter derived from the former?

their has been a study done on this and Sanskrit latin and greek are all thought to come from the same root language.
if you look at the words in each for Mother, Father, and Horse they are very similar (these were the ones mentioned in the study).
“Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.
(The mendicants asked) What are the two [types of persons]?
(The Lord Buddha responded) The malicious, or the inwardly angry, and the one with (blind) faith or the one who holds things incorrectly.
Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.”
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.
"Others will misconstrue reality based on personal perspectives, firmly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our personal perspectives, nor firmly holding them, but easily discarded."

Return to “Pali”