What would you recommend for beginners?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Coyote
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

What would you recommend for beginners?

Postby Coyote » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:48 pm

I have some free time at the moment, and am going to start to learn Pali based on Bhikkhu Bodhi's lectures. Gair and Karunatillake's book seems essential, but I wonder about other resources. I have studied languages before so I don't feel I need to refresh my grammar (unless you feel it would be good?), so Collin's Pali grammar might be unnecessary. There are so many resources, so what is recommended? A dictionary, for example, would be useful, be there are several online. I hope to use this forum to help me along, may it be an enjoyable and fruitful journey.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Mkoll

Re: What would you recommend for beginners?

Postby Mkoll » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:56 pm

I seem to recall Ven. Bodhi saying in his first Pali lecture that it might be a good idea to start with something like A Pali Primer by Lily De Silva before going into his lectures. But I may be mistaken.
Peace,
James

Derek
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Derek » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:55 am

The PTS Pali-English dictionary is useful to have in print, but if you're only just starting, it will likely be several months of hard work before you need it. I used the Geiger/Norman grammar.

As for learning online, there used to be a highly active Yahoo Pali group, where learners at various stages would help each other and even cooperate on joint translations. I don't think there's much activity on it now.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks both. There are several online courses, including Lily De Silva's primer, which I can start while I wait for the book to arrive.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Return to “Pali”