Digital Pali Reader (DPR) software program.

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
beeblebrox

Re: Digital Pali Reader (DPR) software program.

Post by beeblebrox »

I found a nice font... it's Vietnamese, but still displays the Pali very well. Very easy to read. The name is "Hoang Yen", you can download it here (along with a few different fonts). There is another set here, it's very basic (Times Roman and Arial), but still pretty good.

They seem to show up only in Firefox, not Google Chrome. :thinking: Chrome apparently doesn't let you change the fonts, even though it has that option in the menu.

I'm curious which fonts do you guys use? One thing that bugs me is how in some fonts, certain letters are bigger than others. These fonts don't have that problem.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I was copying and pasting for the longest time, until fortunately some here pointed out how the 'pasting' was changing the diacritics to something else completely wrong. :tongue:

Then I downloaded Pali unicode. Now I have another desktop so I need to download it again to my new computer.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Hoang Yen is a fancy font, by the way. I wouldn't use it for the forums. It makes DPR very nice to use, and also makes the Pali much easier for me to read, for some reason.

I went ahead and googled for "Pali unicode", and found this - "Times Extended Roman". It seems better than the one I gave above (VU Times). It's more consistent. I'm using it for the forums right now, and everything seems good. I tried it in DPR, I still prefer Hoang Yen.
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

beeblebrox wrote:I found a nice font... it's Vietnamese, but still displays the Pali very well. Very easy to read. The name is "Hoang Yen", you can download it here (along with a few different fonts). There is another set here, it's very basic (Times Roman and Arial), but still pretty good.

They seem to show up only in Firefox, not Google Chrome. :thinking: Chrome apparently doesn't let you change the fonts, even though it has that option in the menu.

I'm curious which fonts do you guys use? One thing that bugs me is how in some fonts, certain letters are bigger than others. These fonts don't have that problem.
I use Linux, which is entirely Unicode by default... I guess Windows users have a problem with the DPR if they can't display Unicode characters - too bad, really...
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

yuttadhammo wrote:I use Linux, which is entirely Unicode by default... I guess Windows users have a problem with the DPR if they can't display Unicode characters - too bad, really...
Hello Bhante,

I just found "Arial Unicode MS" on my computer. It was right under my nose the whole time. :tongue:

There are several different Arial fonts, but only this one is good for Pāli. The on-screen readability is excellent... there are no variations with the letters. I think it's included on Windows XP and up. Anyone using Firefox, just set it as the default font, under Tools menu, Options, and Contents.

Anyone who's technically inclined... in the Unicode fonts, seems like you need the characters in these blocks - "Latin-1 Supplement" (for the ñ and macrons) and "Latin Extended Additional" (for ṃ, ṅ, and other letters with dots). Most of the fonts seem to have the former, but very few have the latter.

Many of them don't look that great on-screen (jaggy, and odd shapes), but they probably look good when printed. When I get my printer working again, I'm going to experiment with this. I think the DPR will be great to copy the text of suttas, paste in a word processor, set the font you like, and then print out for reading. :)

Andika font seems like it would be nice for that, you can find it here, along with Charis (seems more typical), Doulos, and Gentium. Also, Bhikkhu Pesala has quite a few here.

Take Care, Everyone
mirco

Post by mirco »

khantibalo wrote:Take a look on my reader application http://palitextreader.codeplex.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dhamma Greetings Venerable Khantibalo,

when trying to start after installing it says "You must install pali canon library in order to run this application".
What to do next?

Best regards, Mirco :-)

EDIT: I found the "pali canon library". Would be nice to have it included installationwise. :anjali:
pt1

Post by pt1 »

yuttadhammo wrote:Hey everyone. This is kind of exciting... finally I've added a way to look up word (and phrase) references in the commentaries.
Hi Bhante Yuttadhammo,

Thanks for the reader. Very useful. Any plans to include tikas and later works in Pali? And in particular Abhidhammatha Sangaha an its commentary abhidhammattha vibhavini, as well as Visuddhimagga commentaries?

Best wishes
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

pt1 wrote:Thanks for the reader. Very useful. Any plans to include tikas and later works in Pali? And in particular Abhidhammatha Sangaha an its commentary abhidhammattha vibhavini, as well as Visuddhimagga commentaries?
Tikas are now included, commentary on Vism has been there for a while. I'm not sure where I'd put the Abhidhammatttha Sangaha, but it wouldn't be difficult to add it in.

I'm having a bit of a problem with my ISP; if you want the very latest version, don't wait for it to upgrade automatically, download it from http://pali.sirimangalo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; otherwise at the moment, you'll be stuck with v0.9
pt1

Post by pt1 »

Thanks very much Bhante, the new version is great.
yuttadhammo wrote: Tikas are now included, commentary on Vism has been there for a while. I'm not sure where I'd put the Abhidhammatttha Sangaha, but it wouldn't be difficult to add it in.
That'd be great. Not sure if this helps - on http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they put both the AS and vibhavini in the Abhidhamma Tika section, though it seems it would make more sense to put it in the Anya section together with Visuddhimagga and Byakarana and other more modern things...

You mentioned earlier in the thread you might need some help with the reader - anything specific? I've started studying Javascript recently, so perhaps I can study in the direction that might eventually enable me to help out a bit in the future.

Best wishes
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

pt1 wrote:Thanks very much Bhante, the new version is great.
That'd be great. Not sure if this helps - on http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they put both the AS and vibhavini in the Abhidhamma Tika section, though it seems it would make more sense to put it in the Anya section together with Visuddhimagga and Byakarana and other more modern things...
I'll try to figure something out :)
You mentioned earlier in the thread you might need some help with the reader - anything specific? I've started studying Javascript recently, so perhaps I can study in the direction that might eventually enable me to help out a bit in the future.
Heck, if you'd like to inherit the project, I would be happy to pass it off on you :)

Anyway, you can download the source code from sourceforge:

git://digitalpali.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/digitalpali/digitalpali" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and install it in Firefox as an unpacked extension:

1. Locate your profile folder and beneath it the profile you want to work with (e.g. Firefox/Profiles/<profile_id>.default/).
2. Open the extensions/ folder, creating it if need be.
3. Create a new text file and put the full path to your development folder inside (e.g. C:\extensions\digitalpalireader\ or ~/extensions/digitalpalireader/). Windows users should retain the OS' slash direction, and everyone should remember to include a closing slash and remove any trailing spaces.
4. Save the file with the id of your extension as its name ([email protected]). No file extension.

Happy coding :)
pt1

Post by pt1 »

yuttadhammo wrote: Heck, if you'd like to inherit the project, I would be happy to pass it off on you :)
:) Thanks Bhante, I'll gladly accept - in a couple of years - when my javascript is up to scratch, and if you don't find a more suitable candidate in the meantime.

Thanks again for your good work.

Best wishes
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

Just a note that the Abhidhammattha Sangaha is now included in the DPR, and we're at our first Beta release :twothumbsup:
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

Just another update, now the DPR can export html files from sections or even groups of sections, and can analyze Pali text from a webpage as well.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Please accept my deeply felt thanks for this software! During my work translating the Majjhima Nikaya into Norwegian, I mainly use this DPR text now, although I still keep my Bangkok edition of the Pali Tipitaka open at my desk for comparison.

I have one question. Maybe I have not explored the software enough, but I have not yet found a way of keeping three windows open: 1. the Tipitaka, 2. the commentary text, linked to the relevant paragraph in the Tipitaka, and 3. the dictionary. Is this possible?

:anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

May I note one thing about the use of C#: it's not neccesarily a windows only application. You can use mono to be cross-platform: http://mono-framework.com/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone needs help with C#, Javascript or HTML: I'm a professional C# developer and have also extensive experience with Javascript (including jquery) and HTML. I might contribute to that codeplex project if so desired. :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.