Pali Term: Kāmesu micchācāra

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Pali Term: Kāmesu micchācāra

Postby Dmytro » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello Pali friends,

I would like to repost here the explanation provided by Ven.Dhammanando at the E-Sangha Pali forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, would you both agree that we should take "kamesu" as meaning sensual desire as sexual desire?

No. Elsewhere it can mean that, but in the context of the third precept it means sensual pleasures "consisting in transgresssive forms of sexual intercourse" (methunavītikkamasaṅkhāta).

I truly appreciate your comments. If the Ven. wouldn't mind, could you please explain or point me to a link wherein the 'forms of sexual intercourse" (methunavītikkamasaṅkaāta)' are listed or described?

The standard formulation of the third precept lists ten kinds of protected women and ten kinds of wives with whom a man should not have sexual intercourse.

Ten kinds of protected women:

māturakkhitā: one protected by her mother.
piturakkhitā: one protected by her father.
mātāpiturakkhitā: one protected by both her mother and father.
bhāturakkhitā: one protected by her older or younger brother.
bhaginirakkhitā: one protected by her older or younger sister.
ñātirakkhitā: one protected by her relatives.
gottarakkhitā: one protected by her clansmen.
dhammarakkhitā: one protected by Dhamma (e.g. a nun).
sārakkhā: one protected by her husband.
saparidaṇḍā: one whose use involves punishment (i.e. a woman, for misbehaving with whom a king levies a fine against a man).

Ten kinds of wives and wives-to-be:

dhanakkītā: a woman whose indentureship was purchased by a man with the intention of making her his wife.
chandavāsinī: one who lives with a man of her own free will.
bhogavāsinī: one who becomes the wife of a man because of his wealth.
paṭavāsinī: A destitute woman who becomes the wife of a man out of hope for things such as clothes.
odapattakinī: one whom a man has asked for in marriage, during the solemnization of which the elders of the family take hold of the bride and groom’s hands, plunge the hands into a tray of water and give the blessing, “May both of you love each other and live happily together; do not break apart, just as the water in this tray does not break apart.”
obhaṭacumbaṭā: one who, being released from a heavy burden by a man, then becomes his wife.
dāsī ca bhariyā ca: A slave woman whom a man treats as a wife.
kammakārī ca bhariyā ca: A paid employee whom a man treats as a wife.
dhajāhaṭā: one whom a man carries off in war and then makes his wife.
muhuttikā: one living with a man for a certain period of time understanding that she is his wife.

This has always confounded me, especially in regard to autoeroticism. Does such behavior constitute a transgression of the third precept?

No, not for a layperson keeping the five precepts.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metta,
Dmytro
Dmytro

Return to Pali