Pariyatti pati pati pati patipatti pativedha

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Pariyatti pati pati pati patipatti pativedha

Postby Bunjers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:52 am

This was a Pali expression used in a Ven. Viradhammo talk - Ajahn Viradhammo podcast 12/04/10 'Knowledge, Insight and Practice' (available here or on iTunes.)
"Study, practice, practice, practice, practice, develop insight."

Listen in at 20:00 min.:
"In the Pali you have this idea of pariyatti pati pati pati pati pati patipatti pativedha." So he does this amusing thing of repeating the practice word to emphasise it :tongue: do people normally say it like that? hehe

This expression has actually already been discussed here but just thought I'd share.

Viradhammo says about the study bit (transcribed right from talk) "Study is not just books, it's like the naturalist studies the birds and so on. You study your own inner environment and then from that there's some sense of what's going on. Then there's the practice, the deepening of insight re-enforces it [the understanding.] It's a nice triad..."

Could you guys help me just break it down into its meanings? like, etymologically. the exact meanings of pari- yatti. pati- etc.
so, pari- prefix means 'all around?
pati- means... practice?
vedha obv. comes from knowledge, knowing, 'insight into,' as in the Vedas...

This is what I get from the Glossary of Pali

pariyatti: Theoretical understanding of Dhamma obtained through reading, study, and learning.

patipatti:
The practice of Dhamma, as opposed to mere theoretical knowledge (pariyatti).

pativedha:
Direct, first-hand realization of the Dhamma.

thanks v. much :smile:
Gāravo ca nivāto ca, Santutthi ca kataññutā, Kālena dhammasavanam, Etam mangalamuttamam :anjali:
Bunjers

Re: Pariyatti pati pati pati patipatti pativedha

Postby beeblebrox » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:50 am

From the Digital Pali Reader:

paṭi = (directional prefix) back to; against; towards; in opposition to; opposite.
patti = 1. a foot-soldier; an infantry. 2. arrival; attainment; merit; profit; share.
vedha = piercing; shooting; pricking.

So maybe:

Paṭipatti = a foot-soldier against; or practice.
Paṭivedha = a piercing in towards to; or penetration.

Pariyatti is basically Scriptures, and its study. I don't think that the breakdown really shows this... seems like it has its own established definition.

:anjali:
beeblebrox

Re: Pariyatti pati pati pati patipatti pativedha

Postby Bunjers » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm

thanks that cleared it up for me :)
interesting the possible meaning of 'foot soldier,' I guess you could say it's a kind of pun? perhaps another example the Buddha using military immagery/combative metaphor for spiritual practice... which would make sense with his Kshatriya background.
funny how paṭi can mean both 'towards' and 'in opposition to!??' It's a funny language with all that multiplicity of meaning! So now I understand words like 'Paṭimokkha,' towards enlightenment, very interesting :smile:
Gāravo ca nivāto ca, Santutthi ca kataññutā, Kālena dhammasavanam, Etam mangalamuttamam :anjali:
Bunjers

Return to Pali