Translation of nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
starter

Translation of nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka?

Post by starter »

Hi Teachers/Friends,

I wonder what "nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka" really means, the dry insight meditators without jhana, or with only the 4 rupa jhanas but not formless jhanas?

Metta,

Starter
Assaji

Re: Translation of nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka?

Post by Assaji »

Hi Starter,

It's dry insight meditators.

Metta, Dmytro
starter

Post by starter »

Hello Dmytro,

Thanks for your input. Then why in the susima sutta "nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka" appears to be translated into those "liberated by insight", with the 4 rupa jhanas but no formless jhanas (as I understand)?

I guess it's probably because of the good intention of the translators ...

Metta,

Starter
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

starter wrote:Hello Dmytro,

Thanks for your input. Then why in the susima sutta "nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka" appears to be translated into those "liberated by insight", with the 4 rupa jhanas but no formless jhanas (as I understand)?

I guess it's probably because of the good intention of the translators ...

Metta,

Starter
It might be because the formless jhanas are somewhat extra-canonical.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

daverupa wrote: It might be because the formless jhanas are somewhat extra-canonical.
Really. They are in numerous Suttas, such as MN111: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hello Starter,
starter wrote:Thanks for your input. Then why in the susima sutta "nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka" appears to be translated into those "liberated by insight", with the 4 rupa jhanas but no formless jhanas (as I understand)?
To start with, there's no "nijjhanaka sukkhvipassaka" in the Susima sutta.

This expression is used in the commentarial explanation of the word "Paññāvimuttā" (liberated by wisdom) of this sutta:

'Paññāvimuttā kho mayaṃ, āvuso'ti, āvuso, mayaṃ nijjhānakā sukkhavipassakā paññāmatteneva vimuttāti dasseti.

Second, why do you think that "those "liberated by insight", with the 4 rupa jhanas but no formless jhanas (as I understand)?"

See: http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/n_ ... imutti.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

mikenz66 wrote:
daverupa wrote: It might be because the formless jhanas are somewhat extra-canonical.
Really. They are in numerous Suttas, such as MN111: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
I'm not saying they aren't thoroughly attested, simply that they aren't always part of Sutta explanations of sammasamadhi - hence, "somewhat".
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
starter

Post by starter »

Hello Dymtro,

Many thanks for your helpful input.

"This expression is used in the commentarial explanation of the word "Paññāvimuttā" (liberated by wisdom) of this sutta [which sutta?]:

'Paññāvimuttā kho mayaṃ, āvuso'ti, āvuso, mayaṃ nijjhānakā sukkhavipassakā paññāmatteneva vimuttāti dasseti." [what does this sentence mean?]

Second, why do you think that "those "liberated by insight", with the 4 rupa jhanas but no formless jhanas (as I understand)?"
-- understood from reading the English translation of the Susima sutta:

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you dwell touching with your body the peaceful emancipations, the formless states beyond form [the formless jhanas]?"

"No, friend."

Metta,

Starter
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

daverupa wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
I'm not saying they aren't thoroughly attested, simply that they aren't always part of Sutta explanations of sammasamadhi - hence, "somewhat".
I don't see how that makes them "somewhat extra-canonical". There are many things that are not in "all suttas on the subject", (such as the 12 links in the DO chain). Certainly, it's an interesting topic to figure out what is "more original", but I think that it requires quite a lot more sophistication to do properly...

As I said, the formless attainments are quite common. I get 41 hits from access to insight suttas on "infinitude of space":
http://www.google.com/search?q=infinitu ... be7d3ce775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hello Starter,
starter wrote:"This expression is used in the commentarial explanation of the word "Paññāvimuttā" (liberated by wisdom) of this sutta [which sutta?]:
Susima sutta.
'Paññāvimuttā kho mayaṃ, āvuso'ti, āvuso, mayaṃ nijjhānakā sukkhavipassakā paññāmatteneva vimuttāti dasseti." [what does this sentence mean?]
"Wisdom-liberated" is explained here as liberated by wisdom only, dry-insight meditators, without jhanas.
-- understood from reading the English translation of the Susima sutta:

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you dwell touching with your body the peaceful emancipations, the formless states beyond form [the formless jhanas]?"

"No, friend."
Indeed those "liberated by insight" have not developed the formless states. The degree to which they have developed rupa jhanas may vary.

Metta,

Dmytro
starter

Post by starter »

Dear Dymtro,

Many thanks for your translation:

"Wisdom-liberated" is explained here as liberated by wisdom only, dry-insight meditators, without jhanas."

-- Haha, this translation is in perfect agreement with the early Chinese agama version of the susima sutta.