Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Upasaka Sumana

Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Postby Upasaka Sumana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm

In my book it says that the Pali l is pronounced like the l in sell while the Pali (l with a dot under it) is pronounced like the l in felt; however I don't see a difference between the ls in sell and felt. If there were a difference it would be between e.g. "sell" and "lot". So what's the difference between l and ?
Do not think lightly of evil, saying, "It will not come to me." A drop at a time is the water pot filled. Likewise, the fool, gathering it little by little, fills himself with evil.
Do not think lightly of good, saying, "It will not come to me." A drop at a time is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.

—Gotama Buddha, Dhammapada 121-122

daverupa

Re: Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Postby daverupa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:00 pm

l and ḷ: there is virtually no difference between these sounds; l is pronounced with the tongue close to or touching the teeth; ḷ with the tongue touching the roof of mouth.

<source>
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Upasaka Sumana

Re: Pronouncing l and ḷ (with a dot)

Postby Upasaka Sumana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Thank you!
Do not think lightly of evil, saying, "It will not come to me." A drop at a time is the water pot filled. Likewise, the fool, gathering it little by little, fills himself with evil.
Do not think lightly of good, saying, "It will not come to me." A drop at a time is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.

—Gotama Buddha, Dhammapada 121-122

Return to “Pali”