Word search

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Word search

Postby phil » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:06 am

Hi all

I have a lot of trouble getting results from the word search at the online Pali dictionary. I guess it's because I don't know the roots yet, but I'd appreciate it if I (and others, of course) could use this thread for asking about specific words we can't figure out.

First, I'd like to ask about the phrase apadānasobhanī paññāti that appears in my signature, translated by Bh. Bodhi as "wisdom shines forth in behaviour." The verb sobhati means to shine, but I can't figure out apadaana from the dictionary. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Metta,

Phil
I hope that every time I post it will be accompanied by a wish for the wellbeing of everyone in this sangha and all beings.
(so I don't have to write "metta" every time!)

Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Re: Word search

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 am

Hi Phil,

The PED entry reads:

Apadāna (nt.)

1. [= Sk. apadāna] removing, breaking off, D iii.88.

2. [= Sk. avadāna cp. ovāda] advice, admonition, instruction, morals Vin ii.4 (an° not taking advice), 7 (id.) M i.96; A v.337 sq. (saddhā°) Th 1, 47.

3. legend, life history. In the title Mahāpadāna suttanta it refers to the 7 Buddhas. In the title Apadānaṃ, that is "the stories", it refers almost exclusively to Arahants. The other, (older), connotation seems to have afterwards died out. See Dialogues ii.3. -- Cp. also pariyāpadāna.

Apadāna in the sense of "deed" or "behaviour" is missing from the PED but is given in the older (and often better) dictionary of R.C. Childers and in my Pali-Thai dictionary. The translation of the phrase in the Thai Tipiṭaka expresses the same meaning as Bhikkhu Bodhi's.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:02 am

Another method, which is sometimes helpful, is to search for English words, e.g.

Shine
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby phil » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:15 am

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Phil,

The PED entry reads:

Apadāna (nt.)

1. [= Sk. apadāna] removing, breaking off, D iii.88.

2. [= Sk. avadāna cp. ovāda] advice, admonition, instruction, morals Vin ii.4 (an° not taking advice), 7 (id.) M i.96; A v.337 sq. (saddhā°) Th 1, 47.

3. legend, life history. In the title Mahāpadāna suttanta it refers to the 7 Buddhas. In the title Apadānaṃ, that is "the stories", it refers almost exclusively to Arahants. The other, (older), connotation seems to have afterwards died out. See Dialogues ii.3. -- Cp. also pariyāpadāna.

Apadāna in the sense of "deed" or "behaviour" is missing from the PED but is given in the older (and often better) dictionary of R.C. Childers and in my Pali-Thai dictionary. The translation of the phrase in the Thai Tipiṭaka expresses the same meaning as Bhikkhu Bodhi's.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Thank you Bhante. I found the above as well, but assumed it was a homonym since I couldn't see a connection with the translation. But you've clarified it. Thanks.
There's no need for me to be so obssessive about every word. We can count on the translators. But since it is one of my favourite sutta passages...

Metta,
Phil
I hope that every time I post it will be accompanied by a wish for the wellbeing of everyone in this sangha and all beings.

(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Postby phil » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:16 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Another method, which is sometimes helpful, is to search for English words, e.g.

Shine

Thank you, Bhante. That is a helpful suggestion I had never thought of!

Metta,

Phil

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
phil

Return to Pali