Meaning of Words

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Meaning of Words

Postby pelletboy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Just came across three words in the DHamma wondering if you know the meaning of them. They are :játikkhetta, asterism (nakkhatta), and samvattamanakappa Context on where they are used are:
-"A Buddha is born only in this Cakkavála out of the ten thousand Cakkaválas which constitute the játikkhetta (AA.i.251; DA.iii.897)."
-"Gotama was conceived under the asterism (nakkhatta) of Uttarāsālha, under which asterism he also made his Renunciation (DA.ii425), preached his first sermon and performed the Twin Miracle. Under the asterism of Visākha he was born, attained Enlightenment and died; under that of Māgha he held his first assembly of arahants and decided to die; under Assayuja he descended from Tāvatimsa."
-AND "No Buddha is born during the samvattamánakappa, but only during the vivattamánakappa (SNA.i.51)."
pelletboy

Re: Meaning of Words

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:52 pm

I'll just move this thread to the Pali forum.
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:05 pm

That appears to be from the Commentaries? Do you have an online source for those texts?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Kare » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 pm

pelletboy wrote:Just came across three words in the DHamma wondering if you know the meaning of them. They are :játikkhetta, asterism (nakkhatta), and samvattamanakappa Context on where they are used are:
-"A Buddha is born only in this Cakkavála out of the ten thousand Cakkaválas which constitute the játikkhetta (AA.i.251; DA.iii.897)."
-"Gotama was conceived under the asterism (nakkhatta) of Uttarāsālha, under which asterism he also made his Renunciation (DA.ii425), preached his first sermon and performed the Twin Miracle. Under the asterism of Visākha he was born, attained Enlightenment and died; under that of Māgha he held his first assembly of arahants and decided to die; under Assayuja he descended from Tāvatimsa."
-AND "No Buddha is born during the samvattamánakappa, but only during the vivattamánakappa (SNA.i.51)."

The meaning of those words is fairly straightforward:

játikkhetta - birth-field
nakkhatta - constellation
samvattamánakappa - the era when the world is contracting
vivattamánakappa - the era when the world is evolving

These two last words must be understood in relation to ancient Indian cosmology, not in relation to modern Big Bang cosmology.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby pelletboy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:47 am

Kare wrote:
pelletboy wrote:Just came across three words in the DHamma wondering if you know the meaning of them. They are :játikkhetta, asterism (nakkhatta), and samvattamanakappa Context on where they are used are:

The meaning of those words is fairly straightforward:

játikkhetta - birth-field
nakkhatta - constellation
samvattamánakappa - the era when the world is contracting
vivattamánakappa - the era when the world is evolving

These two last words must be understood in relation to ancient Indian cosmology, not in relation to modern Big Bang cosmology.

-What's a birth-field?
-What does it mean the Gotama was conceived, made His Renunciation, preached His first sermon, etc. under "Constellations?"
-I know of aeons and the Buddhist concept of the universe, but I'm not sure if samvattamánakappa and vivattamánakappa happen in one aeon or do they happen in one aeon each?
pelletboy

Return to Pali