Are theravada practicioners more accomplished?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
nobody12345

Re: Are theravada practicioners more accomplished?

Post by nobody12345 »

manasikara wrote:Hi imaginos,

thank you for clarifying, I see now that your reference to people offering an easy ride to 'pure land' was not directed at me at all. Sorry, I misunderstood and I was overreacting a little.

:anjali:
Hi manasikara.
Don't worry.
My speech was definitely very harsh/stern in nature (although it was not directed to members of this forum) so it's natural to draw certain reactions.
I tend to do that since I take certain foreign elements of Buddhist schools as very very dangerous thing.
After all, the Buddha stated that the Dhamma will banish in the future due to the influx of foreign/outsider's elements.
But my strong sentiment is directly toward to the ones who played key roles in terms of developing alien Dhamma and making profit out of it.
(I do take it as direct attack on the Buddha himself.)
And thank you for reminding me that I need to work on the skill of speech.
Yes, it would be not so good if one speaks to defend Dhamma yet lacks the skill to smoothly navigate the audience to promote their welfare.

Metta.
nobody12345

Re: Are theravada practicioners more accomplished?

Post by nobody12345 »

BuddhaSoup wrote: So, are Theravada practitioners more accomplished? Well, to my mind what the Buddha taught and instructed might be considered a roadmap for life and for release from dukkha. Theravada is a practice that follows the directions set forth on the roadmap. Other traditions might claim to be a tourist map to the same location, but these maps deviate from the course, send one over potholes in the road, create rest stops that are unnecessary, pass celebrity homes, direct one to sensual gardens, and some deviate so far as to lose their sense of direction completely.

If I'm on a journey and need to buy a map, I'll buy the one created by the original and authentic cartographer.
Thank you for the skillful metaphor.

Metta.