A Sutta Query

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
plwk
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

A Sutta Query

Postby plwk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Mahāparinibbāna Sutta
5.1. The Lord said: 'Ānanda, let us cross the Hiraññavatī River and go to the Mallas' sāl-grove in the vicinity of Kusinārā.'
'Very good, Lord', said Ānanda, and the Lord, with a large company of monks, crossed the river and went to the sāl-grove.
There the Lord said: 'Ānanda, prepare me a bed between these twin sāl-trees with my head to the north. I am tired and want to lie down.'
'Very good, Lord', said Ānanda, and did so.
Then the Lord lay down on his right side in the lion-posture, placing one foot on the other, mindful and dear­ly aware.

Does anyone know what is the or is there any significance of the bolded part?

:thanks:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: A Sutta Query

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:22 pm

He would be facing the setting sun. Disciples paying their last respects would have a clear view of his face, not seeing it in shadow.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”