Silly question alert-kamma

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Ngawang Drolma.

Silly question alert-kamma

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Fri May 15, 2009 12:53 am

Hi all,

I've been taught that the body is old kamma (manifested).
Is this accurate?

Dhammanando
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Silly question alert-kamma

Postby Dhammanando » Fri May 15, 2009 2:09 am

Hi Drolma,

In the Abhidhamma the body is said to consist of mind-produced and temperature-produced rūpas as well as kamma-produced ones.

It is the six sense-bases that the Buddha taught as being "old kamma". The fifth of these bases is of course "body", but here the word doesn't mean the body as a whole, but only the bodily sensoria.

Kamma Sutta

"Monks, I will teach you new & old kamma, the cessation of kamma, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma. Listen and pay close attention. I will speak.

"Now what, monks, is old kamma? The eye is to be seen as old kamma, fabricated & willed, capable of being felt. The ear... The nose... The tongue... The body... The mind is to be seen as old kamma, fabricated & willed, capable of being felt. This is called old kamma.

"And what is new kamma? Whatever kamma one does now with the body, with speech, or with the mind: This is called new kamma.

"And what is the cessation of kamma? Whoever touches the release that comes from the cessation of bodily kamma, verbal kamma, & mental kamma: This is called the cessation of kamma.

"And what is the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma? Just this noble eightfold path: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. This is called the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma.

"So, monks, I have taught you new & old kamma, the cessation of kamma, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of kamma. Whatever a teacher should do — seeking the welfare of his disciples, out of sympathy for them — that have I done for you. Over there are the roots of trees; over there, empty dwellings. Meditate, monks. Don't be heedless. Don't later fall into regret. This is our message to you."

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,

Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 am

Wonderful explanation Bhante, thank you :anjali:

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 15, 2009 2:29 am

Wonderful explanation Bhante, thank you

We are privileged to have bhante here.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

for49
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby for49 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:49 pm

there is an old tibetan saying that :buddha1: ""if you want to know about your past then look at your present body and if you want to know about future then look at your present mind"

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:39 am

Greetings,

Please try keeping a Theravada focus to responses made in the Theravada forums.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”