Canki Sutta Questions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Canki Sutta Questions

Postby Tom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:02 pm

"But what quality is most helpful for remembering the Dhamma?... "

"Hearing the Dhamma... If one didn't hear the Dhamma, one wouldn't remember the Dhamma..."

"But what quality is most helpful for hearing the Dhamma?... "

"Lending ear... If one didn't lend ear, one wouldn't hear the Dhamma..."

"But what quality is most helpful for lending ear?... "

"Growing close... If one didn't grow close, one wouldn't lend ear..."

"But what quality is most helpful for growing close?... "

"Visiting... If one didn't visit, one wouldn't grow close..."

"But what quality is most helpful for visiting? We ask Master Gotama about the quality most helpful for visiting."
- MN 95

This may sound naive, but does this mean that one must physically visit a teacher in order to learn the Dhamma?
Last edited by Tom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

Re: Canki Sutta Questions

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm

In the Buddha's time, yes. Teachings were not written down.

Personally, I think a real-life teacher is very valuable, but of course it is no longer necessary to memorize every teaching on the spot.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby perkele » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 pm

I thik it would be most recommendable. Physical presence confers a lot of information which cannot be transmitted just by words.
perkele

Postby Tom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Thank you all for your responses. In this sutta when it says to hear the Dhamma, what does "Dhamma" refer to and how much "Dhamma" must one hear? Must one hear the complete set of the Buddha's teachings recorded in the Pali Canon, or does this refer to any amount of the Buddha's teaching that suffice for one to reach his goals along the path? For example, I've heard those stories of people in the Buddha's day hearing only a few lines of Dhamma and becoming enlightened, without having to hear every single one of his teachings.
Tom

Postby Sam Vara » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:41 am

ccharles wrote:Thank you all for your responses. In this sutta when it says to hear the Dhamma, what does "Dhamma" refer to and how much "Dhamma" must one hear? Must one hear the complete set of the Buddha's teachings recorded in the Pali Canon, or does this refer to any amount of the Buddha's teaching that suffice for one to reach his goals along the path? For example, I've heard those stories of people in the Buddha's day hearing only a few lines of Dhamma and becoming enlightened, without having to hear every single one of his teachings.

I think it means the latter: the amount that is required for one to reach their goals. Anything else would surely be superfluous. And attempting to hear or read the complete set could lead you into problems. What counts as the Buddha's teachings? Do you have to hear all those very similar suttas that only vary in very small particulars (of which there are many in the Samyutta Nikaya)? Do you have to hear all the repetitions of phrases? The temptation to skip bits that don't seem to make much sense is bad enough as it is for most people, and listening to the whole lot would probably lead to people mistaking the means for the end.

My advice is to stick with what your own experience shows you is good for you. Does what you hear lead to faith and clarity and a desire to examine more? Or does it lead to self-competition, strain, confusion, etc?
Sam Vara

Return to Discovering Theravāda