Some questions from a novice :)

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Some questions from a novice :)

Postby Jay1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:55 pm

1: Will meditation lead me to poverty? If I let go from my attachments, will I end up like a homeless man as I will not desire a home anymore?

1.5: Can a Buddhist be ambitious?

2: Is belief in rebirth necessary? I see no reason to believe in it, so...

3: I know that monks are prohibited to listen to music, should I stop listening to music myself? If not, then why is it a bad idea for monks to listen to music but not for me?

4: Have any of you started lucid dreaming due to meditation? Also, would meditation through the night involve lucid dreaming as the body falls asleep?

5: Oh, and what teacher would you recommend? Apparently Ajahn Chah and Mahasi Sayadaw are supposed to be good? Are they? Btw, I'm a Christian if that matters (I've heard that Buddha was apathetic to the question of God's existence)

:namaste:
Jay1

Re: Some questions from a novice :)

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:12 am

Greetings Jay,

Jay1 wrote:1: Will meditation lead me to poverty? If I let go from my attachments, will I end up like a homeless man as I will not desire a home anymore?

Only if that's what you want to do. If anything, meditation might provide some insight which will challenge some of your pre-existing notions... so your perception on the various pros and cons of certain lifestyle choices might change, but the choice will always be yours to weigh up.

Jay1 wrote:1.5: Can a Buddhist be ambitious?

Sure. Monks generally strive towards becoming an "arahant", and there's not much more ambitious than that. Lay Buddhists can do whatever they want, although they ideally strive to maintain the five precepts.

Jay1 wrote:2: Is belief in rebirth necessary? I see no reason to believe in it, so...

See MN 60 - Apannaka Sutta... or the section from "Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic" on rebirth... both are easily found online via Google.

Jay1 wrote:3: I know that monks are prohibited to listen to music, should I stop listening to music myself? If not, then why is it a bad idea for monks to listen to music but not for me?

For monks, or for those on intensive meditation retreats it may be a distraction from their intended goals. Is music in conflict with your goals?

Jay1 wrote:5: Oh, and what teacher would you recommend? Apparently Ajahn Chah and Mahasi Sayadaw are supposed to be good? Are they? Btw, I'm a Christian if that matters (I've heard that Buddha was apathetic to the question of God's existence)

Well Ajahn Chah and Mahasi Sayadaw are deceased, so if you're allowing the deceased into the equation you may as well go with "The Teacher", aka the Buddha... whose teachings are preserved in the Sutta Pitaka.

Jay1 wrote:Thanks :D

No worries.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Benjamin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Hello Jay,

regarding rebirth, Thanissaro Bhikkhu has great things to say about its relevance to our daily practice.

Kind regards,
Benjamin
"Don't believe everything you read."
-The Buddha
Benjamin

Postby SarathW » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 am

HI Jay1
Wellcome!

1: Will meditation lead me to poverty? If I let go from my attachments, will I end up like a homeless man as I will not desire a home anymore?

No. Most probably you will be very rich! :twothumbsup:

1.5: Can a Buddhist be ambitious?

Buddhist aim for ultimate happiness ie. Nirvana

2: Is belief in rebirth necessary? I see no reason to believe in it, so...

Buddhist believe in a continuous change so every thing is impermanence, unsatisfactory and no Soul.

3: I know that monks are prohibited to listen to music, should I stop listening to music myself? If not, then why is it a bad idea for monks to listen to music but not for me?

Lay people can listen to music. It depend on what you need to achieve.

4: Have any of you started lucid dreaming due to meditation? Also, would meditation through the night involve lucid dreaming as the body falls asleep?

I always a dreamer! :)

5: Oh, and what teacher would you recommend? Apparently Ajahn Chah and Mahasi Sayadaw are supposed to be good? Are they? Btw, I'm a Christian if that matters (I've heard that Buddha was apathetic to the question of God's existence)

I learnt Buddhism from the following book. Please read from chapter 15.

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf
SarathW

Postby Śūnyatā » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 am

Great questions, Jay. And equally great answers, Retro et al (Retro's response about Buddha? Aces! :twothumbsup:)
Live in joy, In love, Even among those who hate. Live in joy, In health, Even among the afflicted. Live in joy, In peace, Even among the troubled. Look within. Be still. — Dhammapada

Being a human being is not an end in itself. It’s only a transition. It can never be a perfect state in itself. It’s merely a convention. — Luang Por Sumedho

Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing. — Euripides
Śūnyatā

Postby alan... » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

Jay1 wrote:5: Oh, and what teacher would you recommend? Apparently Ajahn Chah and Mahasi Sayadaw are supposed to be good? Are they? Btw, I'm a Christian if that matters (I've heard that Buddha was apathetic to the question of God's existence)

retrofuturist wrote:Well Ajahn Chah and Mahasi Sayadaw are deceased, so if you're allowing the deceased into the equation you may as well go with "The Teacher", aka the Buddha... whose teachings are preserved in the Sutta Pitaka.

:goodpost: retro, nice.
alan...

Return to Discovering Theravāda