Rebirth

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
placebo23

Re: Rebirth

Post by placebo23 »

kc2dpt wrote:That's all wonderful to hear, placebo. But I guess now I'm confused as to what your question is.
placebo23 wrote:So all in all I see birth as painful and a calamity, with it comes only suffering, pain and endless worries and finally you will lose everything (death).
The Buddha taught the way to the cessation of birth, the cessation of suffering, pain, and endless worries, the cessation of death. Are you asking if his teachings are true?
In a way yes. I fear it to carry around a body with me, even if this body is merely a concept which is combined from the five aggregates. The question is if there will be an ultimate end to the five stressful aggregates ? Or is buddhas concept of rebirth more associated with a rebirth of an ego senso in mind,. So that after parinirvana there will be a next body but without mind/ego-sense.

Sorry it is difficult to explain.
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

placebo23 wrote: The question is if there will be an ultimate end to the five stressful aggregates ? Or is buddhas concept of rebirth more associated with a rebirth of an ego senso in mind,. So that after parinirvana there will be a next body but without mind/ego-sense.
For the arahant, there will be no arising of a future body after the death of the present one. The suttas are unambiguous about that.
"The ignorance with which the wise person is obstructed, the craving with which he is conjoined, through which this body results: that ignorance has been abandoned by the wise person; that craving has been destroyed. Why is that? The wise person has practiced the holy life for the right ending of stress. Therefore, at the break-up of the body, he is not headed for a [new] body. Not headed for a body, he is entirely freed from birth, aging, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is, I tell you, entirely freed from stress & suffering."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
placebo23

Post by placebo23 »

Ok. Thank you for clarifying the issue. I see now that buddhism is the right way and it is worthwhile to strive.

Again Thank you all.

:reading: :anjali: