The Equality of Living Things

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

The Equality of Living Things

Postby bga » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 am

In my quest to understand the Vegetarian debate, I began musing on the topic of living beings. The Buddha says that we should not kill any living being due to the karmic reciprocations of those actions, and yet, is tearing a carrot from it's stem not the same as killing an animal? It in essence is still taking life. Or was the Buddha referring to the way in which life is taken, the brutality of it (so to speak)? I guess my general question is, is all life judged equally in the Buddha's teachings?

Thank you. :anjali:
Well-makers lead the water (wherever they like)
fletchers bend the arrow
carpenters bend a log of wood
wise people fashion themselves
-Dhp (80)
bga

Re: The Equality of Living Things

Postby cooran » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:51 am

Hello bga,

This previous thread may be of interest:

Plants - Borderline Beings?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1204

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: The Equality of Living Things

Postby Mkoll » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 am

bga wrote:I guess my general question is, is all life judged equally in the Buddha's teachings?

Hi bga,

No. For example, killing an arahant or your mother or father will give you a guaranteed destination of perdition in the next life whereas with the killing of other beings, this guarantee is not claimed.

:anjali:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Return to Discovering Theravāda