Please help on understanding 2nd Noble truth.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
indian_buddhist
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Please help on understanding 2nd Noble truth.

Postby indian_buddhist » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Hello,

I am new to Buddhism and I am trying to understand the 2nd Noble truth . The first Noble truth asks us to understand and experience Suffering. Once the First Noble truth has been understood the Buddha tells us the 2nd Noble truth

Translation by Bikkkhu Bodhi:

“Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to re-becoming, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for becoming, craving for disbecoming.

My understanding of the Buddha's message of the 2nd Noble Truth is this:-

Rebirth happens due to Craving. The Cause of Craving is ignorance of the 4 Noble Truths but more importantly ignorance of Anatta (Non-Self) , Anicca (Impermanence) and Non-understanding of the Law of Dependent Origination.

There are 3 types of Craving :- Kama Tanha :- Craving for Sense pleasures - meaning craving for pleasurable things cognizable by the eye,ear,touch,Tongue,smell and mental image which also includes sexual craving.

Bhava Tanha: Craving for Becoming :- At a Basic level Bhava Tanha could mean craving for things to happen , Ambition, Drive, forceful exertion, status, Respect, Pride, Arrogance, Reputation, Domination, controlling other people, deception, cheating others for gain, Lying for gain etc. At a deeper level Bhava Tanha means craving for eternal existence.

Vibhava Tanha: Craving for Non-becoming : At a Basic level Vibhava Tanha means craving to get rid of people/things/situation, develop Aversion , Hatred, Anger, Killing others, Harming others and at a deeper level Vibhava Tanha means being Nihilist, Depressed , committing Suicide to get rid of life itself.

Please Theravada folks let me know if my understanding of the 2nd Noble truth is correct?.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Please help on understanding 2nd Noble truth.

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:13 am

Yes.

Sorry for the one word answer, but I think your post sums it up pretty good; nice analysis of the origin and types of cravings.

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”