Why Did Siddhartha Gautama Split from Hinduism?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Why Did Siddhartha Gautama Split from Hinduism?

Postby ccook70 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:42 am

Hello,

Why did Siddartha Gautama originally split from Hinduism?

:thanks:

Corey
ccook70

Re: Why Did Siddhartha Gautama Split from Hinduism?

Postby daverupa » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Hinduism didn't exist back then, so it's impossible that it was there for anyone to accept or reject.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby BlackBird » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:22 pm

He didn't split from Hinduism. As Dave Rupa has said, Hinduism was not Hinduism back then either, but a loose collection of rituals and sacrafices made by Vedic Brahmins who had yet to assert authority as India's prime caste. In the Buddha's time, it was the Kshatriya that were the dominant caste and Kshatriya rulers gave patronage to all sorts of mendicants and brahmins, not solely to those following the Vedas.

The Blessed One was part of a society that had nothing to do with the Vedas, the Samanas or in SKT - Sramana. Wandering mendicant monks who espoused various doctrines and had followers of small or large amounts, Jainism also arises from this loose group of competing Samanas.

So contrary to the Hinducentric view that the Buddha was part of Hinduism and in fact an avatar of Vishnu, he categorically rejected the Vedas from the outset, refering to Vedic Priests as a "file of blind men" - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby SarathW » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:19 pm

There is a Tree diagram to explain how religions evolved posted by Tilt.
Cant find the link.
:)
SarathW

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:55 am

SarathW wrote:There is a Tree diagram to explain how religions evolved posted by Tilt.
Cant find the link.
:)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20570

The first tree diagram is the better.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby plwk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:14 am

Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby indian_buddhist » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:18 am

ccook70 wrote:Hello,

Why did Siddartha Gautama originally split from Hinduism?

:thanks:

Corey

Hinduism is a term coined by Persians to people living in India in the 12 century AD (Buddhism was dead in India by then). What is modern Hinduism today is a mix of various cultural and historical traditions and beliefs .

There was the Historical Vedic religion involving sacrifices. Then there was a period for about 1000 years where Buddhism became popular. What emerged after that were new scriptures, new Gods and new traditions and culture. A LOT of aspects of Buddhism were borrowed. That is what majority of India follows today.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
indian_buddhist

Postby Metta-SRP » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:09 am

To my understanding, Hinduism was not truly a religion back then. It was mostly Vedic rituals and customs that most people followed (this essentially was the forerunner of Hinduism). However, some people did refer to these customs and their so called religion/faith as simply dharma (Sanskrit for dhamma).

:namaste:
Metta-SRP

Return to Discovering Theravāda