Career in the military?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: Career in the military?

Postby appicchato » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 am

dawgfvr wrote:Just know/practice the 4 Noble Truths and 8 Fold Path...In your journey, take three books: Bhikkhu Bodis's, "The Noble Eightfold Path", "Going For Refuge Taking the Precepts" and Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's "Handbook for Mankind". Include meditation in your daily routines and you will be just fine IMHO.

Pretty good advice for anyone, in any situation...keeping it simple, in many ways, prevents one from going (too far) astray...if I were asked... :smile:
appicchato

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 am

Thats a great first post dawgfvr! Welcome.

. :anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 am

bodom wrote:Thats a great first post dawgfvr! Welcome.

:thumbsup: I agree.

Hi Sergeant, a great first post and it comes almost one year after you joined Dhamma Wheel!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby dawgfvr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

Thank you appicchato, bodom and Dr. Snyder on your kind comments. Your past sage advice and comments on/teaching of the Dharma are meritorious. I am grateful for this discussion forum...it has added greatly to my personal practice. BTW, kudos Dr. Snyder on your, "The complete Book of buddha's Lists - Explained". Now that it is in PDF format as well, it was a nice download addition to my Kindle.
dawgfvr

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda