Noah Levine

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
negative.pixel
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:07 am

Noah Levine

Postby negative.pixel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 am

I was wondering if anyone here was first exposed to Buddhism by Noah ro his books; or if anyone knows much about him.

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 5210
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Noah Levine

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

negative.pixel wrote:I was wondering if anyone here was first exposed to Buddhism by Noah ro his books; or if anyone knows much about him.


Dharma Punx was one of the first books on Buddhism I had read. It was like reading my own autobiography. He is an excellent teacher for the younger generation of Buddhists.

http://www.dharmapunx.com/

:anjali:
“What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a teacher who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them, that I have done for you, bhikkhus. There are these roots of trees, these empty huts. Meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay or else you will regret it later. This is our instruction to you.” - MN 19

User avatar
jcsuperstar
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 am
Location: alaska
Contact:

Re: Noah Levine

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 am

:soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 5210
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Noah Levine

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 am

He is trained to teach by Jack Kornfield of Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, CA. Im interested what your source is for the statement concerning his teaching before being qualified. I couldn't find any info regarding this.

:anjali:
“What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a teacher who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them, that I have done for you, bhikkhus. There are these roots of trees, these empty huts. Meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay or else you will regret it later. This is our instruction to you.” - MN 19

User avatar
jcsuperstar
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 am
Location: alaska
Contact:

Re: Noah Levine

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 am

look at the timeline of his activities, he had his little cult of personality going prior to training with kornfield
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 5210
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Noah Levine

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 am

jcsuperstar wrote:look at the timeline of his activities, he had his little cult of personality going prior to training with kornfield


Im sensing a little hostility here lol. Im not sure about the whole time line thing, but honestly this is the fist ive heard anything suspect about him. He leads retreats all over im sure something would have came to light by now.

:anjali:
“What should be done for his disciples out of compassion by a teacher who seeks their welfare and has compassion for them, that I have done for you, bhikkhus. There are these roots of trees, these empty huts. Meditate, bhikkhus, do not delay or else you will regret it later. This is our instruction to you.” - MN 19

Clayton
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Noah Levine

Postby Clayton » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:23 am

I remember in one of his talks he talked about how he started a study group when he was 7 years into practice instead of waiting 10 years like was expected. (I think I am remembering this correctly.) I enjoy his teachings I find his talks kind of run together... but he has a good message. I think he has brought buddhism to people who would otherwise never have heard of it.

With metta,

Clayton

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Noah Levine

Postby pilgrim » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 am

jcsuperstar wrote::soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene

How does one "qualify to teach?". This concept is alien to Theravada. Theravadins just share whatever they know or when asked to do so. This is unlike Vajrayana where one can't teach unless authorised by one's teacher (I think).

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 6218
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: Noah Levine

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:24 am

pilgrim wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote::soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene

How does one "qualify to teach?". This concept is alien to Theravada. Theravadins just share whatever they know or when asked to do so. This is unlike Vajrayana where one can't teach unless authorised by one's teacher (I think).


its not really alien!
Ajahn Chah didn't allow sumedho to teach until his 5th Vassa, if someone is still in training they don't teach.
Sharing an experiance or a possible insight isn't the same as teaching, and there is the 'in training' period for monastics, and the same would be true for laity.
“Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.
(The mendicants asked) What are the two [types of persons]?
(The Lord Buddha responded) The malicious, or the inwardly angry, and the one with (blind) faith or the one who holds things incorrectly.
Mendicants, these two [types of persons] defame the Tathāgata.”
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.
"Others will misconstrue reality based on personal perspectives, firmly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our personal perspectives, nor firmly holding them, but easily discarded."

User avatar
withoutcolour
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Noah Levine

Postby withoutcolour » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 am

I read Dharma Punx (which although having a good message and being a good story, was a little bit of a whine-fest).
I also listen to Levine's dharma talks, which I enjoy. His relaxed way of explaining things (while remaining true to the dharma) is informative and can be amusing. I like how he refers to the Buddha as "Sid" and his followers as "his homies", haha. He definitely has respect for the Buddha and the dharma, but doesn't take himself too seriously.
But he is not my one source for the dharma, I use his talks to supplement my other teachings. His talks are just a nice relief from some of the more serious brain-bending talks.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu

AnonOfIbid

Re: Noah Levine

Postby AnonOfIbid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:43 pm

jcsuperstar wrote::soap:
i was in the punk scene in the 90s touring with bands, writing for zines, publishing zines etc, his idea of punk to me and to many of the bands associated with it( i know this cause we've had a good laugh at his description of the scene) is not punk, its just thuggery, violence and substance abuse. he does the whole scene a disservice really.

his actions in teaching dharma and meditation prior to being qualified also make him somewhat suspect in my book

i see him as a spoiled kid of somewhat famous new-age parents who went "off track" then used his parents connections to break into the spirituality scene


I ABSOLUTELY AGREE

User avatar
Paul Davy
Site Admin
Posts: 16263
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Noah Levine

Postby Paul Davy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 am

Greetings,

In light of the recently tightened guidelines around the Discovering Theravada forum, there is nothing further to be obtained through this discussion.

Discussing Noah Levine is not discovering Theravada.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"Whether I were to preach in brief, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach in detail, Sāriputta, or whether I were to preach both in brief or in detail, Sāriputta, rare are those who understand." (A I 333, Sāriputtasutta)


Return to “Discovering Theravāda”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine