The value of nibbana

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: The value of nibbana

Postby cooran » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:28 pm

char101 wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:I don't want to be offensive. It is absolutely not my intention to be offensive, but this kind of "rough" tone is the only way how I think I might help you with this. Your assumptions are simply absolutely wrong. Because they are all together based on attavada (belief in a self). Can't you see that you're all the time identifying yourself with things (dhamma) which shall not considerd as self? You don't really use the word "self" but it is obvious that you mean it.

Hi acinteyyo,

I do not think your words is offensive. I cannot argue about whether I wrote that based on atta or not because I do not fully understand anatta and when I do try to understand it, there are different views on what is the meaning of anatta. So I'll leave it as it is and 'detach' myself from it :D . Anyway isn't it paradoxical hoping for me talking (writing) free from the view of atta since I am an ordinary being not released from the view of atta itself? We can talk anatta as a doctrine but my main topic is how is it that this being (myself) which is still attached to atta can gain enough motivation to practice to attain nibbana. From psychological point of view, people don't pursue things that they don't value. And as a being which is still attached to atta, I can say that atta is one if not the most valued thing by a living being.

Hello char101,

You may find this information of assistance in understanding Anatta. (maybe scary too).

No Inner Core - Anatta by Sayadaw U Silananda
http://www.mahindarama.com/e-library/anatta1.html
THE DOCTRINE OF NO-SOUL: ANATTA
http://quangduc.com/English/basic/68wha ... ht-06.html
The Buddha's Teachings on Selflessness (with extracts from the Samyutta Nikaya)
- Nyanatiloka Mahathera
http://www.bps.lk/other_library/buddhas ... sness.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: The value of nibbana

Postby ashkenn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:30 pm

((nschauer wrote:
I would agree that intent is different from craving. Intention like discernment can be maintained without craving.
Intent is no different from sankhara, the 2nd limb. The result is birth. Dead end. Koan.))

KO: Usually the word is chanda rather than intention, it is translated as purpose, interest or zeal. Then chanda could be wholesome if arise with wisdom and unwholesome if it arise with cravings. So when you want to learn dhamma, it is chanda arise with faith or wisdom to learn it. If you like a pleasant object, it is chanda that arise with craving which is unwholesome. Also sankhara does not mean unwholesome because wisdom is also sankhara, sankhara has different meanings. Sankhara dhammas means conditon dhammas.

Honestly, not self is not easy to understand. A simple example which you could use to help you to understand is
Whenever you hear a sound and you notice it, is the sound arise because you ask it to arise, or it is because of a sound conscoiousness that arise to hear the sound. There is no self at all in the hearing. You cannot stop hearing, if you could block it by putting a sound proof cover but after you take it out, you will continue to hear. It arises because of conditions. You could use this for seeing, tasting, touching, smelling and thinking

Cheers
Ken O
ashkenn

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda