My mother

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

My mother

Postby shellybergin » Sat May 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey guys
My mother is an alcoholic and we as a family are at our wits end with tryin to get her help. I heard a mans story on the telly about this and i need to know more.

Kind regards
Shelly
shellybergin

Re: My mother

Postby Ben » Sat May 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi Shelly

If you do a search on Dhamma Wheel on 'alcoholism' and 'addiction', you should be able to pull up a number of threads that will be of benefit.
Your mother has really got to be the one who is motivated to give up alcohol. If she hasn't got the motivation it won't matter what approach you use. If she does have the motivation, I would be inclined to direct her towards a 12-step program or get a referral to the drug and alcohol clinic at a major hospital close to where you live. I know some people within my own tradition having success with breaking their addictions by attending a ten-day course of vipassana meditation/ Again, the individual needs to have a strong motivation to free themselves from addiction otherwise they won't stay the ten-days or after completing the course they go back to their addiction.
All the very best and I wish your mother a swift recovery
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Maybe this will help:

Ferguson Speaks From The Heart
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun May 16, 2010 7:48 pm

the latest issue of inquiring mind is all about addiction
http://www.inquiringmind.com/
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Nibbida » Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 am

By all means do anything you can to encourage her to get treatment. That being said, it is even more important to recognize what is within and what is beyond your control. Your primary focus may well be on using the tools of Buddhism to deal with your reactions to her situation.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Postby AryaSravaka » Sun May 23, 2010 1:22 pm

shellybergin wrote:Hey guys
My mother is an alcoholic and we as a family are at our wits end with tryin to get her help. I heard a mans story on the telly about this and i need to know more.

Kind regards
Shelly

if she is into christianity u can take her to church and let her feel the religious bliss.. or u can take her to a buddhist monastery and let her meditate for 15 min and the she will find a better hobby. meditation :)
AryaSravaka

Return to Discovering Theravāda