Jesus/Heaven/Amida/Pure Land

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Jesus/Heaven/Amida/Pure Land

Postby stardeva23 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi I am new to meditation and Buddhism and I just love it! I've been spiritual since I was 12 and on a search. The most interesting thing I find about Buddhism is the concept of liberation versus happiness/heaven and the idea that most Heavens in other religions are still stuck in samsara and not the same as a Pure Land. I am wondering if anybody would like to share their experiences in meditations. Visions, truths, past life observances? Also, I am very interested in Jesus and sometimes think that he studied Buddhism (a lot of quotes are almost identical) but all of the texts where he may have taught meditation were destroyed. Jesus/Christianity and Pure Land/Amida Buddha are very similar and I even wonder if Jesus' Father In Heaven he is talking about was Buddha or Amida and through believing in Jesus one goes to a Pure Land after death to be taught his real teachings in order to get enlightened, much like in Pure Land Buddhism. Nice to be here! I am trying to find some time to meditate everyday but am still in research mode! My family owns some religious television stations and so I have been studying Jesus but I feel there are soooooo many teachings MISSING and I believe MEDITATION was one that was destroyed! Peace and Blessings!
stardeva23

Re: Jesus/Heaven/Amida/Pure Land

Postby Kim OHara » Mon May 31, 2010 9:40 pm

Stardeva,
I answered the duplicate of this post over at http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4537
Duplicating posts under different thread titles is not helpful here.
Kim
Kim OHara

Re: Jesus/Heaven/Amida/Pure Land

Postby tiltbillings » Mon May 31, 2010 10:30 pm

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Return to Discovering Theravāda