YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

"Nothing exists", or (how) does it? - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

"Nothing exists", or (how) does it?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
kannada

Re: "Nothing exists", or (how) does it?

Postby kannada » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Just a view - nothing more...

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:15 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Anicca

Postby Anicca » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:53 pm

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 pm

This emphasis on emptiness/reality is a specialty of Mahayana, even though it is grounded in the Pali Canon.

An excellent book that I just read on this is Contemplating Reality by Andy Karr. It's very clear and accessible.

kannada

Postby kannada » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 am

Hi Anna,

We seem to be stuck on the word 'existence'.

As I understand it you are saying that things always exist and that names are superimposed on those existing things and that we are independent of those things.

My point is that things are a product of mind and that naming asserts their identity (id-entity). Prior to naming there are no things, and non-existent 'things' cannot have separate existence (whether they be you, I or the tree). This is how I use the word 'existence'. In Buddhist parlance prior to assertion = the unconditioned, post assertion = the conditioned.

In order to demonstrate my point you are invited to look around you without creating names (thinking or asserting) and allow the senses (seeing, hearing etc) to function unimpeded by definition... Where are the 'things'?

Prior to assertion (naming) the eyes see but no names are attributed for the defining process has yet to act and define the objects with which we interact.

k
Just a view - nothing more...

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”