Beginner's question about reincarnation.

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: Beginner's question about reincarnation.

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Good article here, should answer your question

Whether or not there is rebirth is not the fundamental question, because once one is born here and now, there is dukkha like this and it must be quenched like this. Even if you are born again, dukkha is like this and must be quenched in the same way. Why bother talking about birth or no birth? Talk only about how dukkha arises and how dukkha is quenched. Just this is already enough. For this reason the Buddha taught anattā. Once anattā is fully realized, there is no dukkha. When there is no attā, dukkha isn't born, anymore. Therefore, he taught the quenching of dukkha, that is, he taught this matter of not-self. The teaching of anattā is essential for the ending of dukkha. Arguments and discussions about whether there is rebirth or not area waste of time. Whether "it" will be born or not, there is still this business of quenching dukkha like this. It's better to speak about this quenching of dukkha instead. This quenching of dukkha is the fact that there is no attā, is understanding that everything is anattā. (33)

We can conclude by saying that if you understand anattā correctly and truly, then you will discover for yourself that there is no rebirth and no reincarnation. The matter is finished.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... ebirth.pdf
“Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” Ovid
clw_uk

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:37 pm

:goodpost:
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Riverbend » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:27 am

Wow, thank you. I suppose the point is that rebirth isn't the point.
I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is you'll agree a certain je ne se quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot. [Uncle Monty -- Withnail & I.]
Riverbend

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:31 am

retrofuturist wrote::goodpost:

Oh yes indeedy... :clap:
PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:34 am

Riverbend wrote:Wow, thank you. I suppose the point is that rebirth isn't the point.

Thats it. After days of hot sunshine and sticky nights a soft refreshing rain has fallen here in England. Everything is born anew. Even the grass smells sweet. Its all here now.
PeterB

Postby Annapurna » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 pm

And gone tomorrow.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda