The same in Theravada?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Hunter

The same in Theravada?

Post by Hunter »

In many other traditions of enlightenment and self-realization you will see the words Consciousness and Awareness. Are they the same according to buddhism, or are they different? I know some of you may not know of a man named Nisargadatta Maharaj, but he said they are different and that Awareness is above Consciousness. Another man named Ramana Maharshi said that they are the same, what is the definition of both in Theravada Buddhism?

:buddha1:
the Buddha said :

"Intention, monks, is karma, I say. Having willed, one acts through body, speech and mind."
retrofuturist

Re: The same in Theravada?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Hunter,

In Theravada, consciousness is always "consciousness of something". It is not a "thing" called consciousness which sits there glowing away.

There is eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, nose-consciousness, body-consciousness, mind-consciousness.

See for example...

SN 35.28: Fire Sermon
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebsut026.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone who thought consciousness was a "thing" that transmigrates from body to body was Sati the Fisherman's Son. The Buddha gave him a right good shelacking for his Wrong View...

MN 37: Culatanhasankhaya Sutta
http://dhammaweb.net/Tipitaka/read.php?id=71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Thank you Retro for clearing me up on what Consciousness is, but what is Awareness then? It is something different or the same?
the Buddha said :

"Intention, monks, is karma, I say. Having willed, one acts through body, speech and mind."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Hunter,
Hunter wrote:Awareness
Awareness is an English word. Perhaps you could explain a bit more about what you mean by awareness and then someone can tell you whether there's a corresponding Pali term, and what it is, and how it's used.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Im not sure how I would define it. The act of being aware?

Again im not to sure! Its not even mentioned as an aggrigate either, oh well. I wont dwell on it anymore. Its just that the two words have haunted me for a while because some say they are the same and others say they are not. It may not be of importance in Buddhism.
the Buddha said :

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Hunter,

Perhaps you might find this useful...

Sati-Sampajanna - Mindfulness and Self-Awareness (Sati-Sampajanna)
http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books ... reness.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I think Awareness is a translation of Sampajanna.

Sampajañña (Pāli; Skt.: samprajaña) means "clear comprehension," "clear knowing," "constant thorough understanding of impermanence," "fully alert" or "full awareness," as well as "attention, consideration, discrimination, comprehension, circumspection."

So Awareness is more of an umbrella, whereas Conciousness is arises and passes each time an object is known.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Goofaholix, is Awareness like everything else impermenant too?
the Buddha said :

Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Yes.

I believe that consciousness and awareness are just different terms for the same thing for Buddhist purposes, the Pali viññana. Sampajañña has slightly different connotations than just "awareness", that is, awareness (of one's theme of contemplation) imbued with clarity and discrimination, etc.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Hunter,

It's really impossible to tell what people mean by particular English words, without any context. They can be used by different authors to refer to different Buddhist concepts, so there is little point in worrying too much about what the particular English word means. You need to figure out which concept it is actually referring to, i.e. which Pali term.

Take a look at this dictionary entry for khandha (aggregates) http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... tm#khandha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In part:
Khandha: the 5 'groups of existence' or 'groups of clinging' upādānakhandha alternative renderings: aggregates or clusters, categories of clinging's objects. These are the 5 aspects in which the Buddha has summed up all the physical and mental phenomena of existence, and which appear to the ignorant man as his ego, or personality, to wit:
1 the materiality group khandha rūpa-khandha,
2 the feeling group vedanā-khandha,
3 the perception group saññā-khandha,
4 the mental-construction group sankhāra-khandha,
5 the consciousness-group viññāna-khandha
And read the details there about saññā ("perception") and viññāna ("consciousness").

While you are at it, read about Sampajañña ("clear comprehension").
http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... %B1%C3%B1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Wishes,
Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Hunter wrote:Goofaholix, is Awareness like everything else impermenant too?
Yes, though much of Buddhist practice is designed to make it more stable.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Hunter wrote:what is the definition of both in Theravada Buddhism?
That depends entirely on what Pali words you are referring to.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Hunter wrote:In many other traditions of enlightenment and self-realization you will see the words Consciousness and Awareness. Are they the same according to buddhism, or are they different? I know some of you may not know of a man named Nisargadatta Maharaj, but he said they are different and that Awareness is above Consciousness. Another man named Ramana Maharshi said that they are the same, what is the definition of both in Theravada Buddhism?

:buddha1:

I think yours is a good and useful question Hunter. One that highlights the subtle but clear difference between the Buddhas teaching and Vedanta...which is the school of " Hinduism" that both Nisargadatta and Ramana belong to.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

PeterB wrote:I think yours is a good and useful question Hunter. One that highlights the subtle but clear difference between the Buddhas teaching and Vedanta...which is the school of " Hinduism" that both Nisargadatta and Ramana belong to.
Yes, not a good idea to assume the Buddhist definition is the same as the Hindu definition. The Buddha was very good at putting a new twist on the terminology of his day. Probably misunderstanding some of these terms contributed to later schools moving closer to a Hindu view of things.
― Ajahn Chah
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Thats what I reckon too Goofaholix.