Arhants thoughts and actions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Arhants thoughts and actions

Postby zazang » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi

I was wondering about these questions as I feel it may help me in understanding certain things better.

1. What are an Arhants thoughts normally when he is not doing anything ?

2. What are their dreams like ?

3. Lets say an Arhant is walking along a forest and sees a very small puddle of water in front. A layman would usually avoid going into it to avoid the foot or shoe to get wet/dirty. What would an Arhant do in such a case , since he has no aversion to getting wet ?

4. In the 12 nidanas explaining cause and effect starting from ignorance to suffering , it is said that volitional formations lead to consciousness. Since an Arhant does not generate volition formations , then how is he still conscious ?

5. Do Arhants ever laugh ?

Thank you su much :namaste:

metta
zazang
Last edited by zazang on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zazang

Re: Arhants thoughts and actions

Postby bodom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:14 pm

While I dont believe the following article addresses your questions directly, I do believe you will find it as helpful as I have in understanding the actions of a living, breathing Arahant.

Nibbana as Living Experience / The Buddha and The Arahant Two Studies from the Pali Canonby Lily de Silva
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el407.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby zazang » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Thank you so much Bodom !

I still am wondering about the 3rd question really. It could help understand certain things better.
zazang

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:06 pm

on #3 he or she, would probably avoid the puddle, no need to maybe get sick or what have you. maybe theres a frog in there? never know...

when the Buddha was sick he sent Ananda for water he didnt just sit there sick cause he had no aversion to it.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby PeterB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:50 pm

I suspect that there is only one way to really know..
PeterB

Postby Goedert » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:13 pm

:goodpost:

The kind of question must be asked for an arahant.
Goedert

Postby bodom » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Goedert wrote::goodpost:

The kind of question must be asked for an arahant.

Or realize Arahantship for one oneself in order to know..

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby PeterB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Thats what I had in mind..
PeterB

Postby kc2dpt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:02 pm

zazang wrote:4. In the 12 nidanas explaining cause and effect starting from ignorance to suffering , it is said that volitional formations lead to consciousness. Since an Arhant does not generate volition formations , then how is he still conscious ?

As I have learned it, this bit does not refer to all consciousness moment but rather specifically to the "rebirth" moment. Because the arahant does not generate volitional formations, after the last consciousness moment of the dying body ceases there is no cause for a new consciousness moment to arise in a new birth body.

During one's life, volitional formations do not lead to consciousness. Contact between a sense and a sense object leads to the corresponding sense consciousness. So, for example, contact between the eye and a form leads to the arising of eye consciousness; contact between the ear and a sound leads to ear consciousness, etc. This happens even for an arahant.

I hope this is helpful.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 pm

Greetings Zazang,

zazang wrote:4. In the 12 nidanas explaining cause and effect starting from ignorance to suffering , it is said that volitional formations lead to consciousness. Since an Arhant does not generate volition formations , then how is he still conscious ?

Once ignorance is uprooted, the entire dependent origination sequence becomes an irrelevancy as ignorance is no longer a support for the subsequent nidanas.

The arahant still has the six consciousnesses, of course... they're just no longer conditioned by ignorance.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby zazang » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Thank you for the answers..:)
zazang

Return to Discovering Theravāda