self

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: self

Postby Shonin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 am

5heaps wrote:i doubt i need to tell you but apart from the factor of production/conditioning there is no "same law" to nama at all. for example there is no discernable physical characteristic to first person experience at all. correlating experience to physical change(s) is meaningful i suppose but its just in its infancy. materialism has been in fashion in the physcal sciences for like 400 years and its still as stupid as it was back then, its just that now we're really good at troubleshooting the body and collecting data.

they hope to explain the mind under the framework of materialism and so "good luck to them", but we'll be lucky if the species survives that long with all of the mental problems and mental rigidity such idol worship promotes. an introductory explanation on why materialism is commonly a type of idol worship

There may be problems with materialism, but it's not just a choice between materialism and substance dualism.
Shonin

Postby 5heaps » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 am

Shonin wrote:There may be problems with materialism, but it's not just a choice between materialism and substance dualism.

idealism?
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
5heaps

Postby Shonin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:01 pm

And others...and none at all.

Without getting into the specifics of various ontological theories, I'm just suggesting you don't base your argument on false dualities or the limits of your imagination at this time or what you have heard of.

not materialism therefore dualism
is not a valid argument
Shonin

Postby 5heaps » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Shonin wrote:you don't base your argument on false dualities or the limits of your imagination at this time or what you have heard of.
not materialism therefore dualism
is not a valid argument

i dont think youll find that argument anywhere by me
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."
5heaps

Postby Shonin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Oh OK. Thanks for clarifying.
Shonin

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda