The Eightfold Path

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

The Eightfold Path

Postby El Gallo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:36 pm

I would like to discuss the eightfold path, or rather, an alternative interpretation of it. As far as the 4 noble truths go, I believe the buddha taught that suffering was caused by Dukkha. I wonder--could Dukha be considered a kind of angst that is caused by self-centeredness? Cravings and selfishness, might they cause a type of dukha that is brought on by self-centerdness?

If this is the case, then I might have an alternative view of the eightfold path. Right speech might be interpreted as thinking about others before you speak. The enlightened includes others in his speech, and seeks not to belittle or put others down. Right action then, is acting out of concern for others. Thinking about others concerns and needs before you act. Right understand is understand others' motives and needs and sorrows. Empathy, if you will. This can be extended to all the eightfold path. It can also be expanded to not just people, but to animals and objects as well. Keep your house clean and orderly, because by treating your things as if you are paying attention to them, your are walking the eightfold path.

Something like that. In any case, it's just food for thought. Make of it what you will. I'm certainly no "bikkhu", I think it's called. :coffee:

Nice talking with you guys. :jumping:
El Gallo

Re: The Eightfold Path

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Greetings El Gallo,

See...

SN 47.19: Sedaka Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .olen.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby AdvaitaJ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:49 pm

El Gallo,

There was a talk given by Andrea Fella at IMC on alternative interpretations of the Noble Eightfold Path within the context of the Four Noble Truths back in June. Look for "Eight Fold Path Deconstructed" from 2010-06-22 on http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/2/.

Regards: Jim
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
AdvaitaJ

Postby lojong1 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 am

El Gallo wrote:I might have an alternative view of the eightfold path. Right speech might be interpreted as thinking about others before you speak.

On sammaa-vaacaa:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html

Makes me wonder how you interpreted the orthodox view of the Eightfold Path, since your alternative view looks pretty orthodox to me [although not exhaustive].
lojong1

Postby acinteyyo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 pm

El Gallo wrote:[...]I believe the buddha taught that suffering was caused by Dukkha.

dukkha isn't the cause for suffering, dukkha is suffering, as far as I know the paliword "dukkha" means "what is difficult to bear", suffering; pain; misery; agony; discomfort and so on...
El Gallo wrote:I wonder--could Dukha be considered a kind of angst that is caused by self-centeredness? Cravings and selfishness, might they cause a type of dukha that is brought on by self-centerdness?

The origin of dukkha is tanhā (craving), caused by avijjā (ignorance).

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Return to Discovering Theravāda