Books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have updated a few more of the books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw. No great changes, just reformatting and correcting some errors.

A Manual of the Dhamma — A reply by the Sayādaw to thirteen questions posed by lay Buddhists regarding how to deal with shameless and immoral monks.

Cow Dhamma — Part One of the Goṇasūra Dīpanī on meat-eating and intoxicants.

A Talk on Intoxicants and Gambling — Part Two of the Goṇsūra Dīpanī on intoxicants, horse-racing, and gambling.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Modus.Ponens

Re: Books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Thank you venerable, for your work in spreading the dhamma. :anjali:

A question: did you write the editor's forward to the Manual of Dhamma?
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes. You will see my name as the editor on the book's title page.

I have added my name as the editor to the index page on the web site.

Just updated: A Manual of the Excellent Man too.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Yes. You will see my name as the editor on the book's title page.

I have added my name as the editor to the index page on the web site.

Just updated: A Manual of the Excellent Man too.
Hi Bhanthe,

You must be quite proud of that!

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A Manual of the Path Factors completes the set of those works by the Venerable Ledi Sayādaw that I had published before.

I have also updated Buddhist Wisdom by the late Venerable Mahāgandhayon Sayādaw, U Janakābhivamsa. That is the only one of his I have edited.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Venerable,

Thank you for the links. I started reading "A Talk on Intoxicants and Gambling" and today it was very helpful at a certain moment of the day.
With Metta
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I just added A Manual of Religious Heritage to my site.

This is only a short article of 16 pages, written while the Sayādaw was travelling on a ferry to Rangoon from Akyab.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My server is currently down again. I have uploaded it to my mirror site:

Aimwell.org Site Mirror.

Edited to remove obsolete links.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ah, thank you Bhante.
I appreciate your excellent work in translation, especially in translating and making available the works of the Venerable Ledi Sayadaw. Thank you for your valuable work assisting in preserving and propagating the Sasana.
Anumodana on your meritorious efforts!
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I wish I could do more, but its very time-consuming to edit the longer books. I don't think many will be interested in the more academic works like the Pāramī Dīpanī or the Āhāra Dīpanī even if I could find time to edit them.

My site is back up again now — it seems like my free hosting service has to do some server maintenance about once a month, and it usually seems to be on a Sunday.
Attachments
Ahara Dipani.zip
(91.88 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
A Manual of the Perfections.zip
(125.78 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Updated three important works by the Sayādaw:

A Manual of Respiration (Ānāpāna Dīpanī)
A Manual of the Dhammas (Dhamma Dīpanī)
A Manual of the Path Factors (Maggaṅga Dīpanī)
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you, Bhante!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A Manual of the Excellent Man completes the set of Ledi Sayādaw's works currently available.

It never ceases to amaze me that every time I edit a book I find some more errors — mostly nothing serious, but still worth fixing.

I might add some new titles later — I have plenty more of the Sayādaw's works, but all require more time than I have to spare at the moment.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you again, Bhante.
I am quite partial to the Sayadaw's writings. I had the opportunity to meditate in his meditation cave by the Chindwin River a few years ago.
Can you please tell me, are there any of his works that have not been translated into English yet?
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725