What is the right view?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

What is the right view?

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:10 am

I've looked at the Brahmajala Sutta of the Digha Nikaya, and I am confused as to what the right view outside of all these wrong views about the universe, the future, the past, and self. I understand the great importance of causality, and so I was able to understand that section in regards to the aforementioned explanation of Sila in the beginning of the sutta, but I am having trouble clearing up what a right view would be, if all these views are wrong.

For example, I understand the dangers of holding an eternalist view, semi eternalist, and an annihilationist's view, so I extrapolated that there's neither since both imply there's a self (that either lasts forever or is subject to annihilation after death), and therefore both are wrong views.

As for the shape of the universe, all of these implied that the universe is three dimensional,and are related to the using the self as a reference point( By seeing the universe from this limited point of reference and perceiving an idea of finite and infinite expanse from that point of reference) which fails to uphold proper scrutiny.

So what is the right views....?

I understand the 4 noble truths, and the 3 marks of existence... but views are important because holding a wrong one, ANY one can lead to hell or an animal womb.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .bodh.html

There's the Sutta for reference's sake.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Wizard in the Forest

Re: What is the right view?

Postby plwk » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Re: What is the right view?

Postby ajahndoe » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Right view is the beginning and the end of the path, it simply means to see and to understand things as they really are and to realise the Four Noble Truth. As such, right view is the cognitive aspect of wisdom. It means to see things through, to grasp the impermanent and imperfect nature of worldly objects and ideas, and to understand the law of karma and karmic conditioning. Right view is not necessarily an intellectual capacity, just as wisdom is not just a matter of intelligence. Instead, right view is attained, sustained, and enhanced through all capacities of mind. It begins with the intuitive insight that all beings are subject to suffering and it ends with complete understanding of the true nature of all things. Since our view of the world forms our thoughts and our actions, right view yields right thoughts and right actions.
from http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html
ajahndoe

Return to Discovering Theravāda