Future Buddha

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
unspoken
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Future Buddha

Postby unspoken » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 pm

I recalling that Meitreya Buddha, where the previous Buddha said that he is the Buddha of the future, successor of Gotama Buddha. And I search wiki and plenty of information poped up.

So I wondering, was Meitreya Buddha here? Or yet to come? Because in some online context they say about the future buddha "will be" coming here. But if the buddha haven't arrive here, then why would wiki have so much information and have some sculpture of the buddha's image?

If Meitreya "was" here, then.... AM I TOO LATE? WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN ENLIGHTENED?

Individual

Re: Future Buddha

Postby Individual » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:43 pm

It's not important. Who knows when Maitreya might come? Certainly, lots of frauds come and go, and there are lots of people willing to speculate.

If Theravada Buddhism weren't already perfect, one might say that dwelling on Maitreya is something that perhaps ought to be included among the four imponderables.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

bodom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:11 pm

As Ajahn Chah said if you want to see the future Buddha Metteyya just dont practice. You'll be around long enough to meet him.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Metteyya comes only when the Dhamma has died out. I think the Mahayana places this at 5,000 years from the Buddha's paranibbana, which would be the year 4517 which is another 2,506 years from now. In the Theravada there is no set date, but the Dhamma has to be gone from the Earth. Since the Dhamma is still here and flourishing to some extent, Metteyya is not here and will not be here for quite some time. Charlatans who claim to be Metteyya are just that; charlatans.

The Buddha Gotama's dispensation is still with us and we can practice and still learn and progress from his teachings.

Individual

Postby Individual » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:29 pm

bodom wrote:As Ajahn Chah said if you want to see the future Buddha Metteyya just dont practice. You'll be around long enough to meet him.

Sounds like eternalism.

Don't practice and you won't be reborn in nice places. You won't be reborn with a mind & body that has a capacity for learning -- like an insect.

The Diamond Sutra

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Individual wrote:
bodom wrote:As Ajahn Chah said if you want to see the future Buddha Metteyya just dont practice. You'll be around long enough to meet him.

Sounds like eternalism.

Don't practice and you won't be reborn in nice places. You won't be reborn with a mind & body that has a capacity for learning -- like an insect.

I think you are missing Ajahn Chah's point. Sometimes he talks like a Zen master. He is making the point that one should not wait for Meteyya and should practice now, so that one will not have to wander around in samsara for several millennia.

bodom

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:44 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
Individual wrote:

Sounds like eternalism.

I think you are missing Ajahn Chah's point. Sometimes he talks like a Zen master. He is making the point that one should not wait for Meteyya and should practice now, so that one will not have to wander around in samsara for several millennia.

Exactly right.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:43 pm

In fact, this is bad advice. It is somewhat like saying, “Don't bother to look after your health and wealth because you will get old and sick whatever you do.” If you don't look after your health and wealth in your youth, you may not even reach old age.

See The Simile of the Birds

If you don't practise in this dispensation you won't meet the Buddha Metteyya at all due to lack of morality, but will be born in one of the eight inopportune places during Metteyya's dispensation. If you cultivate morality, but don't cultivate wisdom, you may meet Metteyya, but you won't be inclined to practise meditation and gain liberation at that time either.

Of course, the best advice is to practise hard so that you gain liberation in this very life, or at least during this Buddha's dispensation — then you won't meet the Buddha Metteyya, but it will only be because you gain parinibbāna before that.

If you practise as hard as you can in this life, but still don't gain liberation in this dispensation, your efforts will stand you in good stead throughout future existences, and if you have enough virtue to meet Metteyya, you will have the ability to gain liberation at that time.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

villkorkarma

Postby villkorkarma » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:37 pm

In the scriptes early scripts it said that 2500 years after Siddharta Goutamo start teaching dhamma vipassana that meditationteqnique and dhamma would return to is origncountry india and so it happened of S N goenka and U bah khin.
dont hurt anyone in any sort of way

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
In fact, this is bad advice. It is somewhat like saying, “Don't bother to look after your health and wealth because you will get old and sick whatever you do.” If you don't look after your health and wealth in your youth, you may not even reach old age.

:roll:

I'm sure Chah had a smile on his face when he said that; it's not meant to be taken as literal advice.
Last edited by Viscid on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

bodom

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Bhante, you are misrepresenting and misinterpreting the meaning of Ajahn Chah's statement.

Davids response needs to be repeated as it cuts straight to the heart of what Ajahn Chah was saying:

Individual

Postby Individual » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:45 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
Individual wrote:

Sounds like eternalism.

:namaste:

The Diamond Sutra

Individual

Postby Individual » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala is conventional.

Ajahn Chah is not.

Both are equally venerable. :)

The Diamond Sutra

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 pm

I didn't misinterpret anything. I am just saying that in fact it is bad advice not to practise if you want to meet Metteyya Buddha.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I didn't misinterpret anything. I am just saying that in fact it is bad advice not to practise if you want to meet Metteyya Buddha.
If it was meant as advice.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

Individual

Postby Individual » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I didn't misinterpret anything. I am just saying that in fact it is bad advice not to practise if you want to meet Metteyya Buddha.

Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala interpreted things correctly. He did not misinterpret anything.

But Venerable Ajahn Chah also did not misinterpret anything. Because he didn't bother with interpretation and misinterpretation.

Jhana monks arguing with Dhamma-devotees. Conventional vs. the ultimate.

The Diamond Sutra

unspoken

Postby unspoken » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:43 pm

But... I'll still meet other Buddhas in Nibbana? Cool, sorry Meitreya Buddha, I won't wait for you. Let me check on the buddhas that reached Nibbana :rolleye:

rowyourboat
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi Unspoken,

There is no certainty Meteyya Buddha will be here any time soon. So lets focus on practising right now- besides, it is said that only people who meditate will even get to see him in his lifetime.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

bodom

Postby bodom » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:48 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
If it was meant as advice.

Right. Ajahn Chah was not giving advice. He was giving a warning.

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 am

This is very similar to another remark Ajahn Chah made to a new monk who asked if he could keep a souvenir of his ex-girlfriend. Ajahn Chah said something like "Sure, keep a little of her faeces in a bottle so that you can take it out and sniff a little everytime you miss her." It is very bad advice, but that's the point - it wasn't meant to be taken literally but it really hits home. :anjali:

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”