Future Buddha

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Re: Future Buddha

Postby nobody12345 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:09 pm

pilgrim wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I didn't misinterpret anything. I am just saying that in fact it is bad advice not to practise if you want to meet Metteyya Buddha.

This is very similar to another remark Ajahn Chah made to a new monk who asked if he could keep a souvenir of his ex-girlfriend. Ajahn Chah said something like "Sure, keep a little of her faeces in a bottle so that you can take it out and sniff a little everytime you miss her." It is very bad advice, but that's the point - it wasn't meant to be taken literally but it really hits home. :anjali:

:anjali:
nobody12345

Postby Hanzze » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby robertk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 pm

villkorkarma wrote:In the scriptes early scripts it said that 2500 years after Siddharta Goutamo start teaching dhamma vipassana that meditationteqnique and dhamma would return to is origncountry india and so it happened of S N goenka and U bah khin.

Please give any citations from the early scriptures to to support this.
robertk

Postby vesuyul » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:15 pm

"And in that time of the people with an eighty thousand-year life-span, there will arise in the world a Blessed Lord, an Arahant fully-enlightened Buddha named Metteyya, endowed with wisdom and conduct, a Well-Farer, Knower of the worlds, incomparable Trainer of men to be tamed, Teacher of gods and humans, enlightened and blessed, just as I am now. He will thoroughly know by his own super-knowledge, and proclaim, this universe with its devas and maras and Brahmas, its ascetics and Brahmins, and this generation with its princes and people, just as I do now. He will teach the Dhamma, lovely in its beginning, lovely in its middle, lovely in its ending, in the spirit and in the letter, and proclaim, just as I do now, the holy life in its fullness and purity. He will be attended by a company of thousands of monks, just as I am attended by a company of hundreds.

-Cakkavattisihanada Sutta

So we can see here that we have to wait for a very very long time before the next Buddha arrives. Bodhisattva Metteyya is now in Tusita heaven...waiting for the ripe conditions to be a Buddha. There are many teachers who say that they are Metteyya but just think about the above paragraph. For us to understand this we need to know about the evolution of human lifespan through the years....now we are in the declining phase till we reach rockbottom then the human lifespan will increase again......please read further about this if you are interested. We need to ask ourselves what are the qualities of a Buddha, do they fulfill all the qualities of a Buddha?

Ajahn Chah probably meant that we need to practise and not just loaf around waiting for the next Buddha....He is skillful in teaching.
vesuyul

Previous

Return to Discovering Theravāda