Begining

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Begining

Postby dmarri » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:08 am

I have been recently researching and trying to fully grasp the vast information of Buddhism. I am obviously a beginner, and I have read several of the other questions and with all the information I am coming across, I'm lost. I am seeking the way to begin the conversion to Buddhism and have no clue where to start. I am seeking any and all advise as to which direction to turn. What is the first book I should purchase, any sites with informative reading to fully grasp and understand this conversition. Also, I am seeking a place in my area to meet others in this path of life to seek a deeper learning and a gathering place. Any advise or suggestions are welcome.
dmarri

Re: Begining

Postby bodom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:10 am

Welcome dmarri!

Please see this thread:

Introductory resources
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Discovering Theravāda