what is limited equanimity?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Wizard in the Forest

what is limited equanimity?

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... imits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above linked article describes limited equanimity, and I have not heard of this before, so I would like to know where in the suttas is limited equanimity described, and how would you describe it?
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
marcussorno

Re: what is limited equanimity?

Post by marcussorno »

I am certainly no expert on the suttas but I used Google Saffron and found this...
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=0#p41062

Hope this helps.
:namaste:

*edited "Oops. I over looked the 'limited' aspect of your comment. Please disregard."
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

The descriptions of equanimity are always appreciated, but I have no idea where this concept arises from, I mean specifically limited equanimity. Any ideas what that might mean in the context of the article, and where I might find it in the suttas?
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Ben

Post by Ben »

I suspect 'limited equanimity' is perhaps Bhante's way of differentiating the equanimity that one develops in vipassana practice, where one continuously remains aware of the rise and fall of phenomena as opposed to the equanimity one develops in samatha practice which, as with all of the brahmaviharas, becomes infinite and boundless.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
ground

Post by ground »

Wizard in the Forest wrote:http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... imits.html

The above linked article describes limited equanimity, and I have not heard of this before, so I would like to know where in the suttas is limited equanimity described, and how would you describe it?
Thanissaro Bhikkhu is clearly referring to an equanimity that is associated with a lack of right effort ("equanimity of a cow").

Kind regards