How to greet a Novice monk?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

How to greet a Novice monk?

Postby AlaskanDhamma » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:22 am

Well I was walking in the local Sears today and came across two novice monks from the local Lao temple, I believe. While I simply said Sabai dee and wai'd I didn't know if there was any other way to greet a novice monk. Can you call them Ajahn? Or are they "not quite there yet"? Just wondering if someone could clear that up for me. Thanks.
"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace." -Buddha
AlaskanDhamma

Re: How to greet a Novice monk?

Postby Individual » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:09 am

AlaskanDhamma wrote:Well I was walking in the local Sears today and came across two novice monks from the local Lao temple, I believe. While I simply said Sabai dee and wai'd I didn't know if there was any other way to greet a novice monk. Can you call them Ajahn? Or are they "not quite there yet"? Just wondering if someone could clear that up for me. Thanks.

"Hello. How are you?"
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 am

you can call anyone ajahn, i was ajahn james in thailand :rolleye:

i think the lao temple only has one novice now though, the nefew of the abbot
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby gavesako » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:13 am

The Lao people usually call only a monk with more than 10 Rains (vassa) an "Ajahn". You can greet a novice more informally, they are treated like boys wearing (temporarily) robes.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:13 am

gavesako wrote:The Lao people usually call only a monk with more than 10 Rains (vassa) an "Ajahn". You can greet a novice more informally, they are treated like boys wearing (temporarily) robes.

wow
does ajahn have a different meaning in laos?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby gavesako » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Ajahn comes from Pali "acariya" who is normally a senior monk (Thera) who can give formal instruction to junior monks. Often laypeople don't know how senior a monk is, so they always call him Ajahn just to make sure. But I noticed this usage with lao people in particular.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:49 pm

I believe the 10 year Rains is a standard to actually receive the title? I am sure I read that in a Ajahn Chah book or on the forest sangha site somewhere, in relation to Ajahn Sumedo I think?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby AlaskanDhamma » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Thank you Bhante, and everyone else for the replies.

JC, as for the novices there we're two, the abbots nephew I recognized, and a new one. They were both wearing the bright oragne robes and seemed about the same age. They had a layman with them to handle money and such.

Thanks for the clarification from everyone though! :)
AlaskanDhamma

Postby gavesako » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 am

It is not a title, just a conventional designation of a monk or nun over 10 Rains.

Real titles are given by the King of Thailand, such "Chao Khun" etc. But these have nothing to do with the Vinaya.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:54 am

AlaskanDhamma wrote:Thank you Bhante, and everyone else for the replies.

JC, as for the novices there we're two, the abbots nephew I recognized, and a new one. They were both wearing the bright oragne robes and seemed about the same age. They had a layman with them to handle money and such.

Thanks for the clarification from everyone though! :)

the new one is the nefew, serena noi sponsered him
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:55 am

gavesako wrote:It is not a title, just a conventional designation of a monk or nun over 10 Rains.

Real titles are given by the King of Thailand, such "Chao Khun" etc. But these have nothing to do with the Vinaya.

when i taught at mahachula they listed me as ajahn.... they said it just meant teacher???
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:50 am

jcsuperstar wrote:when i taught at mahachula they listed me as ajahn.... they said it just meant teacher???

Yes, it can be used as a teacher of anything in Thai. To a Thai I'm Ajahn Mike (but not an Ajahn of Dhamma...). At my Wat "Ajahn" is applied to monks with obviously more than 10 rains, otherwise they are simply "Phra".

Mike
mikenz66

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:08 am

you know i just dawned on me all the monks ive ever been friends with had been monks for a long long time, maybe thats why i just assumed all monks were ajahn....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby appicchato » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:05 am

Not to belabor this (minor) point...with reference to Thailand...the Thai word for teacher is ajahn...(along with the word khru, although this word leans more toward instructor rather than teacher)...and having been to (most) every nook and cranny in the country, I can vouch that (many) Thais call all monks (not novices) ajahn, regardless of status...

Be well... :smile:
appicchato

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Ajahn Chah even calls mosquitoes as “Ajahn Mosquito."
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Ajahn Chah even calls mosquitoes as “Ajahn Mosquito."

I have met a dog called Ajahn Tommy because of his weak bladder at a disciple of Ajahn Chahs Monartery, and have heard Ajahn Chah(I believe it was although in the story no Ajahn was mentioned By name but I did miss the part of the talk just before the story) called a young boy Novice Ajahn because he told him his robes were a mess
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby AlaskanDhamma » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:29 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Ajahn Chah even calls mosquitoes as “Ajahn Mosquito."

What?
AlaskanDhamma

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:41 am

Greetings AlaskanDhamma,
AlaskanDhamma wrote:What?

As Ajahn Chah would say "everything is teaching us"... therefore I assume it was intended in the context of the mosquito as a teacher. Or rather, that there is a lot to be learned from observing our reactions to irritation.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:34 am

Right. Anyone can be our teacher if we have the right attitude, so we should not disregard the young novice or treat him like a child. I couldn't find the reference to check it, but if I recall correctly, the Buddha said that there are four things that should be treated with respect, in spite of their youth and small size:

1. A poisonous snake
2. A fire
3. A prince who is the son of a monarch
4. A novice monk.

Due to their youth, novices may like to play football or practice kung fu, but don't let such outward signs make you disregard them as childish. Some novices may have a good understanding of Dhamma. I remember one young novice at Wat Pah Nanachat who was short for his age, but he was wise way beyond his years. He probably had more insight than some of the senior bhikkhus.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby AlaskanDhamma » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:12 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings AlaskanDhamma,
AlaskanDhamma wrote:What?

As Ajahn Chah would say "everything is teaching us"... therefore I assume it was intended in the context of the mosquito as a teacher. Or rather, that there is a lot to be learned from observing our reactions to irritation.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Ahhhh, I see now. Just was a little confuzzled at first.
AlaskanDhamma

Next

Return to Discovering Theravāda