Question about reincarnation

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
loft

Question about reincarnation

Post by loft »

Hi,

I'm new to Buddhism and had a question about reincarnation, which I find very interesting.

Is reincarnation only linear? I mean, does it follow the forward flow of time? In other words, if I were to die today and were reincarnated, would it be in the future? Or is reincarnation in the past possible? So is it possible to die in 2011 and be reincarnated in the year 1450?

Also, when you die, are you reincarnated right away or might you not be reincarnated for fifty more years?

Sorry if my questions are so basic. I just wonder about this a lot....
retrofuturist

Re: Question about reincarnation

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Loft,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

One fundamental assumption underpinning your question is that there is some "I" or "myself" that is transported throughout these time periods.

In Buddhism, it is recognised that this perception of "I" or "self" is actually a cognitive error, and anything we might think of, or experience as "self" is actually impermanent. This is the teaching of anatta (not-self).

I would recommend investigating anatta in depth before pursuing your current line of enquiry any further, lest you feel into the wrong view of believing there is a consciousness that transmigrates from one life time to the next.

To see how the Buddha responded when people assumed that was his teaching, see...

MN 38: Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta
http://www.leighb.com/mn38.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
ajahndoe

Post by ajahndoe »

Reincarnation is not the doctrine of Theravada Buddhism. It is a teaching of Vajrayana, also known as Tibetan Buddhism. Theravada teaches "rebirth", which is the arising of new consciousness based on the clinging of past consciousness. This is not "you", not "self" or "soul".
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

ajahndoe wrote:Reincarnation is not the doctrine of Theravada Buddhism. It is a teaching of Vajrayana, also known as Tibetan Buddhism. . .
Not really. I think one needs to be very careful about characertizing other schools of Buddhism.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

there is a self that you can controll your actions of. // buddhas teachings.
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings villkorkarma,
villkorkarma wrote:there is a self that you can controll your actions of. // buddhas teachings.
If all five aggregates of experience are anatta (not-self), then what is this "self" other than a conventional designation or concept?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

villkorkarma wrote:there is a self that you can controll your actions of. // buddhas teachings.
"Bhikkhus, form is not-self. Were form self, then this form would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.' And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.'

"Bhikkhus, feeling is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, perception is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, determinations are not-self...

"Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self. Were consciousness self, then this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.' And since consciousness is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.'
(Anatta-lakkhana-sutta)
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

So, how do we inherit our own kamma then?
Refugee

Post by Refugee »

Annapurna wrote:So, how do we inherit our own kamma then?
:namaste:
Ven. Walpola Rahula, in his book "What the Budddha Taught" (chapter 6) writes:
Here naturally a question arises: If there is no Atman or Self, who gets the results of karma (actions)? No one can answer this question better than the Buddha himself. When this question was raised by a bhikkhu, the Buddha said: 'I have taught you, O bhikkhus, to see conditionality in all things.'
The problem is, I still could not figure out what ven. Walpola Rahula's was getting at. :? It would be appreciated if someone here could explain this in more simple terms. Also, what sutta is being quoted by the writer?
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Refugee wrote:
Annapurna wrote:So, how do we inherit our own kamma then?
:namaste:
Ven. Walpola Rahula, in his book "What the Budddha Taught" (chapter 6) writes:
Here naturally a question arises: If there is no Atman or Self, who gets the results of karma (actions)? No one can answer this question better than the Buddha himself. When this question was raised by a bhikkhu, the Buddha said: 'I have taught you, O bhikkhus, to see conditionality in all things.'
The problem is, I still could not figure out what ven. Walpola Rahula's was getting at. :? It would be appreciated if someone here could explain this in more simple terms. Also, what sutta is being quoted by the writer?
'I have taught you, O bhikkhus, to see conditionality in all things.'

rather than a me in all things, a "do-er" in the past and an "inherit-or" in the present... Bing!
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Refugee

Post by Refugee »

kirk5a wrote: 'I have taught you, O bhikkhus, to see conditionality in all things.'

rather than a me in all things, a "do-er" in the past and an "inherit-or" in the present... Bing!
:thanks: Now it's beginning to make sense.
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Yes - well said Kirk.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

To answer the OP, Reincarnation/rebirth is said to be linear- ie there is no mention of anyone being reborn at an earlier period in time, after their death, now.

But it is an interesting question! Some people even suggest that the whole thing is circular- but then that doesnt hold water because there would be no escape from it!

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

loft wrote:Hi,

I'm new to Buddhism and had a question about reincarnation, which I find very interesting.

Is reincarnation only linear? I mean, does it follow the forward flow of time? In other words, if I were to die today and were reincarnated, would it be in the future? Or is reincarnation in the past possible? So is it possible to die in 2011 and be reincarnated in the year 1450?

Also, when you die, are you reincarnated right away or might you not be reincarnated for fifty more years?

So many sages here that direct answers are often never given.

No, it is not possible to reincarnate backwards in time. Rebirth as a human being (not the only option) happens quickly for some; for others it may take days or years or not at all.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

loft wrote:Hi,

Welcome. (^_^) I will precede my statement by saying the majority I have with this is speculation along with the Dhamma, so if I am out of turn or incorrect, please correct me.
Is reincarnation only linear? I mean, does it follow the forward flow of time?
I think this will give you an idea:

In other words, if I were to die today and were reincarnated, would it be in the future?

There's no "I" to be incarnated again.
Or is reincarnation in the past possible?
No. Time and space is subject to certain laws, however the idea of multiple universes and life on other planets applies. So while you might not be reborn in the past, you could be reborn on another planet in a different dimension.
So is it possible to die in 2011 and be reincarnated in the year 1450?
No.
Right away from what I remember.
These are tough qs.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir