Kadampa Tradition

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Mr. G

Re: Kadampa Tradition

Post by Mr. G »

Ben wrote: And seen from afar, it would appear that two camps (Dalai Lama and supporters) and Kadampas are both calling each other 'evil' for arcane historical and political reasons
From afar, yes, it would seem that way.
As a Theravadin I'm not inclined to take any instruction from the Mahayana or Vajrayana. That is the result of the confidence I have in the tradition (and sub-tradition) in which I practice.
Well that's quite slippery of you to add that comment in Ben. ;)
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

[quote="Ben]Maybe you should familiarise with Dhamma Wheel's TOS and show me where it says discussion of the naughty ghost is forbidden.[/quote]

It doesn't, and I didn't say it was forbidden here.
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

mr. gordo wrote:
As a Theravadin I'm not inclined to take any instruction from the Mahayana or Vajrayana. That is the result of the confidence I have in the tradition (and sub-tradition) in which I practice.
Well that's quite slippery of you to add that comment in Ben. ;)
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by that comment Mr Gordo. I am just giving you my honest attitude. My confidence in my own practice and the sub-tradition in which I practice means that I am not inclined in the slightest in seeking instruction elsewhere. Its as simple as that.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Marmalade wrote:[quote="Ben]Maybe you should familiarise with Dhamma Wheel's TOS and show me where it says discussion of the naughty ghost is forbidden.

It doesn't, and I didn't say it was forbidden here.[/quote][/quote]
Then what is the problem?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Ben wrote:Well, I'm not sure what you mean by that comment Mr Gordo. I am just giving you my honest attitude. My confidence in my own practice and the sub-tradition in which I practice means that I am not inclined in the slightest in seeking instruction elsewhere. Its as simple as that.
Well, I guess I was inferring about what seemed to be a condescending attitude. Like in this post:
Ben wrote:Maybe you should familiarise with Dhamma Wheel's TOS and show me where it says discussion of the naughty ghost is forbidden.
Yes, to you it seems trivial and you can make what seem to be patronzing statements like "naughty ghost". But to Vajrayana practitioners, it's a bit more serious an issue. I don't, and never have taken pot shots at Theravadan hot topics. I didn't expect you to either.
In the fires of hell,
- Gandavyuha Sutra
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Except this IS a Theravada forum.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Except this IS a Theravada forum.
What does that have to do with having a general polite demeanor with hot button issues with your Dharma brothers? Or I guess Vajrayana pracititoners aren't your Dharma brothers.
In the fires of hell,
- Gandavyuha Sutra
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

And who said that? The only division I can see is that which you are trying to form. Maybe I'm wrong.

My point was that I haven't seen any disrespect towards vajrayana or mahayana, but even if there had been would that permit disrespect to the Theravada as retaliation? As I said, it's expected for you to be polite about the Theravada, this IS a Theravada forum.

Try not to infer hostility in my posts. There is none.
Ben

Post by Ben »

mr. gordo wrote:
Ben wrote:Well, I'm not sure what you mean by that comment Mr Gordo. I am just giving you my honest attitude. My confidence in my own practice and the sub-tradition in which I practice means that I am not inclined in the slightest in seeking instruction elsewhere. Its as simple as that.
Well, I guess I was inferring about what seemed to be a condescending attitude. Like in this post:
Ben wrote:Maybe you should familiarise with Dhamma Wheel's TOS and show me where it says discussion of the naughty ghost is forbidden.
Yes, to you it seems trivial and you can make what seem to be patronzing statements like "naughty ghost". But to Vajrayana practitioners, it's a bit more serious an issue. I don't, and never have taken pot shots at Theravadan hot topics. I didn't expect you to either.
Maybe you're reading into my statements something that isn't there. Be careful of your own perceptions, Mr Gordo.
To reiterate something that Mawkish has said: this is a Theravadin board. To reiterate something I have been trying to articulate: Anything regarding the new kadampa and its political context is an irrelevancy to the vast majority of Theravadins and not just me.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

Ben wrote:
The problem (if that is what you want to call my opinion) is that discussions regarding Dorje Shugden / Dolghal have a reputation of degenerating into bitter acrimony.

As a non-Buddhist, even I am aware of this.
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Marmalade wrote:
Ben wrote:
The problem (if that is what you want to call my opinion) is that discussions regarding Dorje Shugden / Dolghal have a reputation of degenerating into bitter acrimony.
And only if it does and only until it does, members can discuss the theravadin perspective on new kadampa and shugden to their hearts content.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I think BJR pretty much has his/her answer by now...

NKT has nothing to do with Theravada, and neither Theravadins, nor any non-NKT Buddhists are likely to recommend it.

Since this topic isn't particularly conducive to dispassion and calming the senses 8-) I think it's best finished here.

For the record, discussion on NKT is not prohibited here at Dhamma Wheel, but it's not of relevance in the Discovering Theravada sub-forum, other than to say it's got nothing to do with Theravada.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."