Practicing, awareness, and metta

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

Does practicing Buddhism make it easier for you to handle hostility?

Yes, greatly.
40%
Yes, quite a lot.
50%
Yes, a little.
10%
No, it is still difficult.
No votes
Other, (please explain).
No votes

Total votes: 10

Marmalade
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Practicing, awareness, and metta

Postby Marmalade » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Do you find, as a Buddhist, that your cultivation of Right Understanding, Right Intention, and your practice of meditation makes it easy for you to practice metta, or kindness, towards people who would annoy you?

In response to my previous question about practicing / non-practicing Buddhists here at Dhamma Wheel, I got a reply which said:

"Non-violence and self control is what buddhists train too. When there's no aversion, no dislike or "self". You won't intend to hurt someone else since you think you and others is a "whole"."

So, do you find that practicing Buddhism makes it much easier to respond with tolerance and kindness to situations which would arouse anger and hostility in most people?
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)

phil
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Practicing, awareness, and metta

Postby phil » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi, there are no guarantees for us worldlings (non-enlightened people) because we have accumulated anger for a long, long, long time, and the anger arises in response to frustrated desires which we have also accumulated for a long, long, time. But there is a move in the right direction, gradually, gradually, and then one day you realize you haven't lashed out in anger for ages, and that builds your confidence, and the progress intensifies. That's my experience anyways. But I'm always aware that there will almost certainly be one of my old road rage incidents, the accumulated tendency still lies lurking. But moving in the right direction is great!
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:09 am

Thank you for that detail, Phil. It's clarifying.
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)

rowyourboat
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby rowyourboat » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 am

Apart from what Phil said, I find that developing samadhi (concentrating the mind) helps to keep anger in check as well as not let it arise in the first place- so this is quite a helpful thing. This effect is intensified if you were to develop metta (loving-kindness) meditation immediately after developing samadhi with some breathing meditation (Mindfulness of breath - anapanasati).

However all these are just temporary measures. Ultimately we can only get rid of anger completely if we go down the path to enlightenment - passing the stages of stream entry, once-returner and non-returner stage, that latter stage will find you have completely removed the causes of anger from your mind permanently.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:12 am

I find that noteworthy; thanks very much for that extra detail, rowyourboat. :smile:

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”