New to this, please help?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
jback2

New to this, please help?

Post by jback2 »

Hi, I'm very new to the Theravada Buddhists' beliefs. I had a question since I have been studying the Bhagavad Gita.
The ethical views of the gita emphasize non-attachment and action out of duty, and regard different social groups as having different moral obligations.
Meanwhile certain Theravada Buddhist texts present a form of ethics which focuses on consequences of actions for the welfare of all beings, assigns the same moral obligations to everyone.
How would someone from each view criticize eachother? I mean, in your opinion which account of ethics do you find more plausible?
daverupa

Re: New to this, please help?

Post by daverupa »

jback2 wrote:How would someone from each view criticize eachother?
I suppose the only way to find out would be to have a modern Hindu and a modern Buddhist discuss ethics together. It wouldn't do to simply put words in the mouth of an alleged contender on either side just for the sake of having a discussion hypothetical points of view.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Fede

Re: New to this, please help?

Post by Fede »

:goodpost:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;